2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

GM Stage Kit Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbotech
Yes Mike I can. First off the instructions have left one point out that Bill informed me on. His quote: "Also, I did verify that we left out the statement that the sensor in the inlet tube needs to be trimed with a razer knife in the area that will interfere with the anti-rotation rib on the HHR (Solstice does not have this)." End quote. Install the map sensor is easy. I don't have the instructions at my fingertips,but I have DOC#'s. The orange/black wire for the map, They say it has a different color. That issue is easlily fixed be elimination of wires. The next step is the intake air psi and temp sensor on the lower pipe. the pitures on the instructions are showing the Solstice. But you can raise it on a lift and find it. On mine, when it was all said and done that pipe was completely out. The wiring issue can be summed up with two doc#s. HHr # is 1910765. This shows that the tan wire is the 5vref and the grey wire is the grd. The instructions say, and I've been told by the engineer over the phone that all the "pin terminals" are correct for both. Now pull up doc# 1913913 for the Pontiac. you will find that the map and intake psi sonsor share the 5vref and grd. Not so on the HHR. Also the gre wire is the 5vref and the tan is the grd. Now when hooked up in this way, the engine will not start. The ecm is seeing 20in of vac with key on or crank. Atleast that is what the gauge is telling me. So, I pulled up the schmatics on both and found the differences. Pulled the sensor off along with the pipe and swapped the grey and tan wires. It started immediatly. Now that is when I noticed the sensor not fitting flat. I ground a notch in the pipe for the extra plastic to sit and let the sensor be flat. Also they give you a metal screw to use to secure it. i used a screw that you will find holding evap cases together that is ment to secure into plastic not metal. I personally think it holds better. But What bill told me is to use a razor blade and cut the back notch off the sensor. That will probably work better unless you want to spend a few extra minutes pulling the pipe out. I recommend the razor blade idea. Then the programming. I talked to a guy at GM techline and did not have a good experience. I was also trying to finish this up on my lunch hour and was not sucessful. From what I hear on this site, I was the only one with issues on all levels of the install. Maybe someone else can chime in and give you something I left out. If you go into SPS with the MDI, you cant program the ecm using the VCI #. It doesnt have that option. Also when you program the ecm, you are also programming the ebcm. I went into the tcm to install the VCI. that seemed to work. After that, the car sstarted and was getting up to 15lb of boost. Took it to lunch today and did alittle showing off with the other techs and saw uppwards of 18-20. So, I'm impressed with this setup. Now I'll measure the fuel mpg and make sure I'm still getting good #'s. Check out those doc#'s Mike. Let us know the results. Thanks
Jared

Great write up,Thanks for saving me the time.I do have some cameraphone pics...sorry was not prepared to document.

Andy
Old 12-18-2008, 12:53 AM

Yes Mike I can. First off the instructions have left one point out that Bill informed me on. His quote: "Also, I did verify that we left out the statement that the sensor in the inlet tube needs to be trimed with a razer knife in the area that will interfere with the anti-rotation rib on the HHR (Solstice does not have this)." End quote. Install the map sensor is easy. I don't have the instructions at my fingertips,but I have DOC#'s. The orange/black wire for the map, They say it has a different color. That issue is easlily fixed be elimination of wires. The next step is the intake air psi and temp sensor on the lower pipe. the pitures on the instructions are showing the Solstice. But you can raise it on a lift and find it. On mine, when it was all said and done that pipe was completely out. The wiring issue can be summed up with two doc#s. HHr # is 1910765. This shows that the tan wire is the 5vref and the grey wire is the grd. The instructions say, and I've been told by the engineer over the phone that all the "pin terminals" are correct for both. Now pull up doc# 1913913 for the Pontiac. you will find that the map and intake psi sonsor share the 5vref and grd. Not so on the HHR. Also the gre wire is the 5vref and the tan is the grd. Now when hooked up in this way, the engine will not start. The ecm is seeing 20in of vac with key on or crank. Atleast that is what the gauge is telling me. So, I pulled up the schmatics on both and found the differences. Pulled the sensor off along with the pipe and swapped the grey and tan wires. It started immediatly. Now that is when I noticed the sensor not fitting flat. I ground a notch in the pipe for the extra plastic to sit and let the sensor be flat. Also they give you a metal screw to use to secure it. i used a screw that you will find holding evap cases together that is ment to secure into plastic not metal. I personally think it holds better. But What bill told me is to use a razor blade and cut the back notch off the sensor. That will probably work better unless you want to spend a few extra minutes pulling the pipe out. I recommend the razor blade idea. Then the programming. I talked to a guy at GM techline and did not have a good experience. I was also trying to finish this up on my lunch hour and was not sucessful. From what I hear on this site, I was the only one with issues on all levels of the install. Maybe someone else can chime in and give you something I left out. If you go into SPS with the MDI, you cant program the ecm using the VCI #. It doesnt have that option. Also when you program the ecm, you are also programming the ebcm. I went into the tcm to install the VCI. that seemed to work. After that, the car sstarted and was getting up to 15lb of boost. Took it to lunch today and did alittle showing off with the other techs and saw uppwards of 18-20. So, I'm impressed with this setup. Now I'll measure the fuel mpg and make sure I'm still getting good #'s. Check out those doc#'s Mike. Let us know the results. Thanks
Jared
How does one get a hold of the documents referenced here?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 AM

Jared
Nice write up Jared....Hopefully you got your act together now before next weekend and you can do mine in under an hour.... LOL see if now you can beat the hour install and set a new time record..... LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
How does one get a hold of the documents referenced here?
If you know an individual that works at the dealer, he can access SI and pull them for you. Actually, I've seen chevy mgr upload from Si to this site. I have tried and not very successful. Maybe he would be able to help.

Thanks for the compliment.
Eric, if yours does not go well, we will sell you a new Z06. How does that sound. Their not bad right now, in the low 70's... we have a yellow or a blue, your choice.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 AM

If you know an individual that works at the dealer, he can access SI and pull them for you. Actually, I've seen chevy mgr upload from Si to this site. I have tried and not very successful. Maybe he would be able to help.

Thanks for the compliment.
Eric, if yours does not go well, we will sell you a new Z06. How does that sound. Their not bad right now, in the low 70's... we have a yellow or a blue, your choice.
Oh a wiseguy huh? I dont want yellow or blue....I want sunset orange metallic II.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 AM

I'm sorry Mr. Bridges, but Chevrolet does not offer that color on any models anymore. They have replaced it with, hmm, blue.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Founding Member

1910765-1913913

Your best bet on these will be to right click the pic, save to your pc then pull them up in your picture viewer to enlarge. If this doesn't work PM me and I will email them to you in PDF which will be better for viewing.

Name:  1910675.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  1913913.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  17.5 KB
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Founding Member

turbotech,

Great write up on your install problems.

Can I make a suggestion as a forum member and not as a mod. My over 50 eyes have trouble reading a solid paragraph. If you could type a couple of sentences and then space between the next set of sentences it makes reading much easier. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Your best bet on these will be to right click the pic, save to your pc then pull them up in your picture viewer to enlarge. If this doesn't work PM me and I will email them to you in PDF which will be better for viewing.

Attachment 4303

Attachment 4304
Thanks ChevyMgr!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Yes, thank you ChevyMgr. I will remember that in the future.

Quick Reply: GM Stage Kit Installed!!!