2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Gmtu turbo upgrade to be installed in central NY ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 AM

Gmtu turbo upgrade to be installed in central NY ?'s

Well I have finally saved up enough to go ahead and get the gmtu in the next two weeks hopefully.
Gonna try not to beat a dead horse on this one.
Going on my 2009 SS auto.
I have a 3 year 36k warranty through gm so the gmtu is the way I am going.
besides foolmoon is laying down some very respectable numbers.with the gmtu along with some bolt ons
Anyone had one installed in the Syracuse area.
I really trust my dealer so I am hoping they have put one in before.
I would do it myself but want to be sure on the warranty.
Crate engine depot told me to put heater hose between one of the sensors and on of the charge pipes?.I believe I need to tell the tech also to grind part of one of the tmaps?
I have done A lot of reading on this.
Hope I have everything covered.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Thru trial and error my dealer invented this bracket to hold the cold side pipe, haven't had any rubbing problems since. I don't think they have a patent on it
Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Deceased

So you're saying that maybe a TSB for the SSSRB(Sam Style Supplemental Restraint Bracket) is in order?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

That would be Jet Chevrolet that invented the critter, I'm not that smart.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Deceased

Well they could at least name it for you, that's only fair right?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Maybe in the disclaimer, High speed tested by the Short Bus,
Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 PM

thanks ss fan

I found this info below on the crate engine depot sight for the kit that you have to crimp or solder
I will be ordereing the plug and play plug in kit so I am assuming I still will have to dealer perform the Tmap mod below?
for some reason they show the tmap with boss but not with the boss removed
So it sounds like The dealer has to perform the tmap boss mod and also put something like a heater hose around the wiring where it would rub on the pipe or have the dealer create something like SS fans dealer did?????

Subject: TMAP Modification Needed When Installing Stage 1 Upgrade Kit - keywords CAC leak lnf low maf map mil pipe power reduced reducedpwrmde ses tmap

2008 - 2009 Cobalt Turbo Upgrade Instruction download

Models:
2008-2009 Chevrolet HHR SS

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

CONDITION/CONCERN:
A technician may comment that the TMAP interferes with the CAC pipe when performing the Stage I update kit on a 2008-09 HHR SS.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS:
The sensor will require modification before assembly or leaks may occur. Engineering is currently reviewing this concern and a service procedure has been developed until the parts can be updated. Following the steps shown in the photographs will prevent any concerns when mounting the TMAP to the CAC pipe. As shown below the boss must be removed to prevent interference with the alignment tab on the CAC pipe; carefully clearance the boss (as shown) until the TMAP will mount flush.

Boss shown in place.__________________Boss shown removed not shown.
Name:  tmapsensorbossinplace_1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  10.5 KB

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Follow this link for Instillation tips

Intermittent Low Power after Turbo Upgrade Kit Installation By Blog Post on October 1, 2010 7:59 PM | No Comments On the 2008-2010 Cobalt SS and HHR SS equipped with the 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder engine (RPO LNF) and the turbo upgrade kit installed (p/n 19212670), an intermittent low power condition may be experienced. There are typically no DTCs present with this condition. However, possible DTCs that may set include P0236, P2166 and P2261. The Service Engine Soon (SES) light also may be illuminated.

Vehicle owners may state it feels like the engine has very little acceleration or the engine rev limiter is engaging. In some cases, the vehicle may accelerate up to approximately 80-90 MPH before the condition occurs.

TIP: This information does not apply to vehicles that have not had the turbo upgrade kit installed.

Installation of the turbo upgrade kit for these vehicles requires both MAP sensors to be swapped for Bosch TMAP sensors. The lower sensor, located on the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) pipe, is hard to reach and can be difficult to install. (Fig. 6) When installing these new sensors, the existing wiring must be cut and new wiring crimped to a new connector.

The low power condition may result from the front lower TMAP sensor (on the charge air cooler pipe) wiring rubbing and chafing against the A/C compressor or line.

A poorly sealed or improperly installed heat sealed splice sleeve on the TMAP sensor wiring also may cause this condition. Any corrosion inside the splice sleeve or at the connector may lead to an intermittent or high resistance connection and the potential for a low power condition.

The lower TMAP sensor is hard to reach and it can be difficult to inspect the wiring for damage. It may help to review the following SI information: Engine > Engine Controls and Fuel - 2.0L > Repair Instructions > Intake Air Pressure and Temperature Sensor Replacement as well as Charge Air Cooler Outlet Pipe Replacement. These documents may help provide additional instructions on how to access the TMAP sensor and wiring for inspection.

Also check the TMAP sensor values using a scan tool while checking the wiring. Any difference in the values may affect engine performance.

Flexible tubing (protective plastic sleeve) can be installed around the harness to help prevent any future concerns.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:09 PM

With boss first and without boss second picture
Name:  tmapsensorbossinplace_1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  10.5 KB
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 AM

well
here is plan purchase the plug an play gmtu kit for Crate engine depot
show service writer pics and info from above showing that the boss has to be removed
and to see if they can fab something up like ss fan has
Drop car off and hope for the best

any other advice
seems like all the bad experiences where with the non plug and play CED kit
so I am hopeful I will be ok
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM

That's the way to go... When I did mine years ago. Chevymgr hooked me up with some tsb's and install tips about flashing for the brake fix, that I took with me to give to the tech. those few pieces of paper, made me confident in my decision, and the tech used them cuz I got all that stuff back with greasy fingerprints. Plus it lets them know you are knowledgeable and care about what's being done to your car. If your experience was like mine, the tech will have a smile on his face when giving your car back.

Your gonna love it. Really wakes up the auto

Quick Reply: Gmtu turbo upgrade to be installed in central NY ?'s