2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

2.4 Exhaust on 2.2 and a Cherry Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Latest results

I have had the exhaust on there for a few weeks now. The car is much quieter now and has the perfect sound. It is a low growl you can hear it when you accelerate or cruise a high speeds like 75 or 80 but at 55 or 60 you can just barely hear it. This cars sounds perfect, not too loud and has a good tone when you floor board it.
She runs much better now from right off idle all the way up through the RPM range you can tell the performance is improved. The jury is still out on the mileage gains. As I said earlier though until I get the Trifecta tune I will not get the full benefits of the complete system.
I am telling you the 88101 Cherry Bomb muffler by IMCO is the one you need to get.
I do not have a video but will try to find someone here who can do that and post the link for it as I really believe this is the way to go.
This car is really starting to come together and of all of my mods so far the exhaust is hands down the best one for performance and the lowering made a huge difference in ride and handling.
I like my Airiad intake filter and the front air dam, Solstice wheels and tires but the best bang for the buck is definatly exhaust and lowering. Curly
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM

2.4 intake manifold and throttle body on the way

I have the 2.4 intake manifold, throttle body and all of the gaskets, adaptors and hoses on the way. I will have to do the Trifecta tune at the same time as it has to be calibrated with the larger 2.4 throttle body.
I really wanted to make one change at a time and track the performance changes but the tune and throttle body have to be done together. Plus the whole system just will not work right as a package until the package is complete.
The exhaust has really helped the performance from off idle all the way up and it sounds so good now.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 AM

car sounded good today on the highway when you passed me..
Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 AM

Updates????

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
I have the 2.4 intake manifold, throttle body and all of the gaskets, adaptors and hoses on the way. I will have to do the Trifecta tune at the same time as it has to be calibrated with the larger 2.4 throttle body.
I really wanted to make one change at a time and track the performance changes but the tune and throttle body have to be done together. Plus the whole system just will not work right as a package until the package is complete.
The exhaust has really helped the performance from off idle all the way up and it sounds so good now.

Curly, ANY updates??. Mod's done? Tested?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 AM

Mixed results

Originally Posted by Randomtask
Curly, ANY updates??. Mod's done? Tested?
Well, I have been working on it and playing with it but do not have much time right now. I thought (think) it is doing better but just a few weeks ago when I filled up my mileage went to crap. I believe it is the Winter Blend fuel. My city mileage average had climbed to 26 over the last few months and then in one tank it went to 20, this last tank was 22? Highway mileage is down to.

The weather really has not been to bad but I am pretty sure it is the fuel blend. There have been a few cold days and I let my car warm up on a few of the really cold mornings. Also the choke stays on longer on cold mornings.

Soon I will put the 2.4 throttle body and Trifecta tune on and I think that will be a huge improvement but with the Winter blend fuel it may be a while before I can verify it.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:52 PM

Here is a very poor quaility video

Here is a very poor quaility video. Maybe you can tell a little about how she sounds.

I promise I will try to get a real video with better sound. The car does sound very good in person.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:59 PM

oh bruce. it does sound better in person than the video.
but you get a good idea from the video. its not that high
pitch n person if i had to say so. good vid tho bruce