2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Injection is Nice, But.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 AM

I totally understand how you feel there are so many things I want to do to my ss but it all takes money and the army has amazing benefits but comes with small paychecks!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Jgooden93
I totally understand how you feel there are so many things I want to do to my ss but it all takes money and the army has amazing benefits but comes with small paychecks!

Plus I keep finding other stuff I want while searchin parts for this.

Got injured about 7 years ago on the job, havent worked since then, after getting 2/3rds my pay for 6 years, now getting weekly settelment thats alot less weekly, so things got a little tighter, the lawyer has my case in appeal, the final appeal I guess, should be heard later this Fall.
Not holdin my breath here, these guys only care about getting Their % cut and moving on to the next case.

Upgrades planned for After the install have come along as well, at pretty good prices, so had to nab them while I could get them, so that put some basics of this install on hold until I saved a bit more cash up.

I'll pick up the head later next week or early the following week, it was offered up to me Before being offered up publically, has over $1,100.00 in parts alone in the Head, plus all his extra work in porting the head and all the assembly work, this was all done about a year ago on it, got it for about half the cost of the parts alone, thats not even counting the actual Head and the extra cam cover I get with them.

I'll use the cam/valve cover that the Head is coming with, and then I can fully polish mine out then swap them. Should go Nicely with the fully polished out supercharger.

Was planning on doing up my head but after I did the supercharger, but the savings on this deal was too good to pass on, same with the Header, and now gotta order up a ZZP Downpipe for it, oh well, there went my Tune money, for now, I will save it up again.

This was never a get it done yesterday project for me tho, so I pick up what I can for it when I can.

Instead of baby steps Upgrading after the install, it'll all be done at once now as far as I am planning on taking it.

But hell, I AM getting very excited to be so close to having everything to make it happen here.

Morticia turns some heads now at a few cruise nights, once this is all installed and I pop open the hood for the First time at them, I think a few jaws will drop wide open.

I havent opened my hood at them even tho it looks like this currently.

Name:  49c83fca.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  83.3 KB

I also have the stainless steel raditor cover thats been waiting to be installed After the supercharger is installed. I don't want it getting messed up and be in the way while we do it.

Name:  b10841e0.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  40.9 KB

I kinda want the Full Visual in place when I open it for the very first time, I have been asked to see under the hood but I decine saying it's Dirty at the moment.

The fiberglass cowl hood scoop is gonna wait until After I get the supercharger in as well.
I got it here so I can do it as a Winter project. I won't be driving her this Winter at all so I can take the hood off and do it in my heated garage without a problem.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Awesome AP. Your build is getting done the right way.

That cover looks really sweet. I've never seen that before. I also like the mirror for your hood.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Awesome AP. Your build is getting done the right way.

That cover looks really sweet. I've never seen that before. I also like the mirror for your hood.

Thanks Jason.

I'd rather do it up right from the start, and now with all the extra bolt ons to go with it, and buying your built head should give Morticia some sleeper jaw dropping to a few as she pulls away.

Lots of help from you and your Built Head will help out this build alot.

I called and left you a message yesterday, when you have some time I wanted to talk some more about supercharging the 2.4. also wanted to know about buying some other parts from you.

I was thinking on just doing the 6 rib install from the get go, piecing my "kit" together I have more 6 rib lsj stuff than just buying the ZZP SC Kit.

I bought the radiator cover about the same time I bought the hood mirror, just been waiting to install it after the supercharger is in.

Send me some pics of the Head.

And Thanks for giving me first dibs on the parts. Appreciate it.

And I got more questions.

I got this HHR Strut Bar coming, I will do a little detail work to it and then paint it Purple.

Name:  036cf5ea.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  4369057d.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  65.2 KB

I think I will be using the GMPP air intake with the Supercharger like this one is set up.
Name:  55437829.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  64.6 KB
Old 07-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Though you can just cut off one rib and keep your 5 rib accessories. That is the easiest way to do it. You shouldn't need to do full 6 rib unless there is a possibility of you running down to a 2.7 pulley. My 2.9 never slipped. 2.7 would slip and wreck belts even with the tightest tension I could get with a rib missing.

I only converted to 6 rib because with the small pulleys I was running on the SC, they were slipping and wrecking belts.

If you do a 6 rib conversion I can help with that!

I have an A/C pulley for 6 rib still and you can reuse your A/C clutch it will work great. FREE! You need to remove your A/C pump to install that pulley though cause its in a tight spot. Trust me when I say don't try to do it in the car. lol So as long as you can get your A/C system recharged your good to go.

i have a 6 rib crank pulley with very few miles. Yours for $25. I paid $65 for it new and it is like new.

Do you have an LSJ Alternator? You can buy a 6 rib pulley from Summit for like $20 shipped and put that on your alternator. It will make it run in reverse because of the different belt routing, but it should still cool itself fine. I had no issues when I did this.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Rest In Peace

Though you can just cut off one rib and keep your 5 rib accessories. That is the easiest way to do it. You shouldn't need to do full 6 rib unless there is a possibility of you running down to a 2.7 pulley. My 2.9 never slipped. 2.7 would slip and wreck belts even with the tightest tension I could get with a rib missing.

I only converted to 6 rib because with the small pulleys I was running on the SC, they were slipping and wrecking belts.

If you do a 6 rib conversion I can help with that!

I have an A/C pulley for 6 rib still and you can reuse your A/C clutch it will work great. FREE! You need to remove your A/C pump to install that pulley though cause its in a tight spot. Trust me when I say don't try to do it in the car. lol So as long as you can get your A/C system recharged your good to go.

i have a 6 rib crank pulley with very few miles. Yours for $25. I paid $65 for it new and it is like new.

Do you have an LSJ Alternator? You can buy a 6 rib pulley from Summit for like $20 shipped and put that on your alternator. It will make it run in reverse because of the different belt routing, but it should still cool itself fine. I had no issues when I did this.
< CONVERTING, Yes I got the Alt and some other stuff already when I bought the supercharger, figure best to just do it Now and be Done, I'll take those parts you have when we meet up for the Head. Since I did not buy the actual Kit setup for the 5 rib, always planned on going 6.

Just never know what i'll do pully wise as time goes on.

I am Keeping Morticia for the LONG Haul here so no end in sight and rather just do her up all at once with this for any future upgrades.

Do it once and be Done.

So hell yeah, I'll buy those 6 rib parts too from you.

Name:  eac26d35.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  79.1 KB
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Hey in that picture above: on the intake mani(just getting cut off in the photo), thats the sensor we were talking about for iat2s. Do it have the pigtail connector to splice in or just the sensor? And also thats the filler tube for the heat exchanger/intake manifold right below it.

Cool so all you need now is the 6 rib crank pulley and I'll bring the 6 rib A/C pulley.

Wait hard to tell. Do you have the lsj idler pulley? Looks like that may be in on the far left.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Rest In Peace

Hey in that picture above: on the intake mani(just getting cut off in the photo), thats the sensor we were talking about for iat2s. Do it have the pigtail connector to splice in or just the sensor? And also thats the filler tube for the heat exchanger/intake manifold right below it.

Cool so all you need now is the 6 rib crank pulley and I'll bring the 6 rib A/C pulley.

Wait hard to tell. Do you have the lsj idler pulley? Looks like that may be in on the far left.
Seller at the time would Not let me cut any wiring off the motor, he wanted to sell the harness as a Whole.

I just took these pics quickly for you.

Name:  470d2e73.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  e239596b.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  119.1 KB

And heres the TTR Black motor mount I wanted to Trade for yours since yours is the silver one.

Name:  276547d4.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  85.3 KB

Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Gonna add a splash of Purple to the brackets and a few other parts. Those pully brackets although mostly unseen will be painted, trans mounts, the motor mount, (unless you Trade me for your Polished one) and the custom made HHR tower
strut bar, maybe a few other pieces.

Powder coating would be Ideal, but funds are getting LOW.

Easier to keep clean once painted, the rough aluminum castings are a b*tch to clean let alone keep them clean.

Pics right after I did my brakes with this anodized paint system. Good for 500 degrees, has held up pretty well for about 18 months but I will be redoing them at some point After I get the supercharger in.

Name:  fab28579.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  2bb04538.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  26.4 KB

Recent pic, looks good still, but a few chips so need to redo them.

Name:  792aff07.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  71.6 KB

So it should hold up pretty well for the parts I am gonna do under the hood.

Name:  b5cd0827.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  78.8 KB

Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Yeah I got some paint on my calipers a while back too and it holds up really well. Actually took longer to clean off all the corrosion than painting. I just used VHT gloss black. Same paint that went on my(your) valve cover. Holds up really well and coats super smooth.

Quick Reply: Injection is Nice, But.....