2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Injection is Nice, But.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 AM

LOL no you won't need an engine build. If you go turbo for big power then the ZZP block and rods/pistons would work, but then you'd need trans work too lol. My pistons were really ideal for turbo as I found out later. Stock block is good.

The stock pulley is ~3.4" I would just keep that for now. Or if you know you want to go a little further with it get a 3.1" modular pulley from zzp. Both are relatively safe sizes...not sure on those injectors keeping up on a 3.1 though and I don't have any logs dating back to when I was using the 3.4 pulley to check. Not very hard to find out though when you do get it set up and do a couple pulls/logs.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
LOL no you won't need an engine build. If you go turbo for big power then the ZZP block and rods/pistons would work, but then you'd need trans work too lol. My pistons were really ideal for turbo as I found out later. Stock block is good.

The stock pulley is ~3.4" I would just keep that for now. Or if you know you want to go a little further with it get a 3.1" modular pulley from zzp. Both are relatively safe sizes...not sure on those injectors keeping up on a 3.1 though and I don't have any logs dating back to when I was using the 3.4 pulley to check. Not very hard to find out though when you do get it set up and do a couple pulls/logs.
Thanks for calling me back Jason. When you get a chance please email the stuff we talked about.
Oh, and what Spark Plugs did you say were still in the Head?

Thanks

I updated my ZZP Cart and will hold off on the modular pully system for now.

I know you said one site takes a few weeks to send parts ordered but same part number for the OEM Head Gasket and a $45.00 Difference in price ?

I will check with a local Chevy dealer once I find the part numbers for the few bolts I need. List price is supposed to be Under 54 bucks ?

Whats ZZP thinkin at $74.99 for it?

Name:  7d139a3d.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  33.3 KB

I think I only need those 7 bolts we talked about, gotta find the part numbers for them.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Rest In Peace

I just bought a used HPTuners Pro Suite.

Name:  647a4679.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  20.9 KB

Bought it on the Cobalt SS forum, just caught it as it was listed. (Finally caught it for a Good Price) They sell so Fast there.

Three guys were already asking about it while I was on the phone working out the details.

The seller already sent me the Interface Serial # and the Application Key. Plus emails from were he bought it so I have all that info.

No "Credits" left on it, but I can get them direct from HPT for my HHR Panel.

One more part of the puzzle taken care of.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM

Hey AP heres a short read on head replacement and timing...some, not all pertains...I think your mechanic will be able to help you out a lot when you guys dig into it. Also that manual you have should help a lot.

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...et-replacement

Plugs are NGK 3672(LFR6A-11)

Nice find on the hpt. I think credits are $50 per and you'll need 2 to start tuning your HHR.

Last edited by hhrfreek; 08-10-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM

My strut brace will not work with the GMPP intake if you do plan to keep using it. Not enough room between the box and firewall.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by bassbase
My strut brace will not work with the GMPP intake if you do plan to keep using it. Not enough room between the box and firewall.
Yeah your about 4 weeks late on that info. But thanks.

I test slapped it on the day it arrived, and saw that it will need some extra work.

I planned on bringing it up to Show quality, regringing the welds and boxing in the bracing some more, smoothing it all out before repainting it anyways.

If I do use it and the GMPP intake, I will rework it to fit as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Hey AP heres a short read on head replacement and timing...I think your mechanic will be able to help you out a lot when you guys dig into it. Also that manual you have should help a lot.

Plugs are NGK 3672(LFR6A-11)

Nice find on the hpt. I think credits are $50 per and you'll need 2 to start tuning your HHR.
Good to see you still around freek.

I think you Forgot the short read Link here?

Yeah he says it's Easy, for him, me I have never swapped an overhead cam head and had to worry about the timing and such.

I would like to read that link tho, please post it, or Email me it and the other info stuff we had talked about before.

And yes the Cobalt Chiltons will help Me out, stuff is all second nature to Mechanic but I like doing it by the Book and Torque all bolts to specs.

I'll get a set of those Plugs to have a fresh set on hand thanks.

I would have bought your HPT, but you said you were Keeping it. The HPT Pro Suites sell pretty Fast on the CobaltSS forums. I hit the seller up less than 10 minutes after he listed it up, and 2 or 3 others were jumping in for it as well, and that was at 11:44 at night.

Then while the seller and I were on the phone working out a deal on it, a guy from Canada was trying to paypal him as we were discussing things like the account password, interface serial # the application key and some questions I had about it ect. As I was bringing up my paypal account up on screen.

Saved about 400.00, and yes I knew 2Credits were needed for my Tuning from you and I talking before about it. So even adding 2 or 4 Credits, I am still ahead on buying it. I don'r ever plan on tuning other peoples cars ever, just wanted to have it on hand here for my own.

Got a Tracking number this afternoon from the seller and it's expected arrival is the 11th.

Just need to place that ZZP order, get the 7 bolts, head gasket, and the 2 electrical pigtails for the IC Pump and the 2.5 MAP Sensor and I believe thats Finally it for parts.

Was about to place the ZZP order, but the HPTuners Pro Suite came up so I had to Jump on it, Fast.

I'll get it done sooner or later, sure would be Nice to get it all done and have some Fun before that damn Winter sets in here.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Yeah your about 4 weeks late on that info. But thanks.
Well I didn't know you had one. Must have bought it off someone who bought it from me becuase I didn't sell you one. All the intake info is in the original sale post on the other site. They should have told you that.

Good luck on making it fit. There is no way with the torque of the engine to clear the box w/o hitting it under acceleration. The bar can't be raised w/o hitting the hood. You have to slightly grind the hood strut brackets to be able to close the hood or it hits them as it is. That info is also in the sale post.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by bassbase
Well I didn't know you had one. Must have bought it off someone who bought it from me becuase I didn't sell you one. All the intake info is in the original sale post on the other site. They should have told you that.

Good luck on making it fit. There is no way with the torque of the engine to clear the box w/o hitting it under acceleration. The bar can't be raised w/o hitting the hood. You have to slightly grind the hood strut brackets to be able to close the hood or it hits them as it is. That info is also in the sale post.
No biggie, a couple of guys you sold them to are selling them, never even putting them on. Dave has his up for sale currently.

I read all the info about them, I knew what I was buying.

Engine torque is being handled by a TTR upper motor mount and TTR front and rear trans mounts, so thats handled. Not planning on raising it, but I will be placing it further back and under, there is plenty of room to go back and under the plastic windshield wiper apron.

All planned ahead before I bought it.

IF, I end up using a CGI type setup then all i'll do is make another Pair of the corner braces and weld them on the Front side of the bar, box it in and regring all the welds flush and smooth and either get it Chromed, or just paint it, not sure yet.
It's set aside for now, until After the superchager install so I know exactly what air intake system I will use.

The GMPP is a nice setup, but still covers alot of the motor. I have 3 or 4 different setups sitting here and will try each before deciding what to stick with. And that will determine the exact Mods I will make to the strut tower bar.

If I stick with the GMPP setup, it will get Modded by me the most, but it Will work.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Finally I got a used set of the HHR Manuals sold by Helms.

3 Books weigh 18 Pounds.

2008 too. Perfect.

Name:  bf4882fd.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  70.5 KB

I wanted to have these before this supercharger project begins, another part out of the way.

Quick Reply: Injection is Nice, But.....