2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Man, this mileage sux...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM

When I first bought my HHR 2.4l I took a trip to Las Vegas from Colorado Springs. I had an extra 800 pounds of audio equipment in the back but I still managed to get 34.6 mpg. It's all about you're driving habits.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by RandyTheHack
DIC was off by a mile tonight - the stupid thing reported 31.6 mpg... not even close - nearly 42% optimistic! My truck experiences similar odd DIC behavior, but that's because I have a tuner in it. Imagine seeing nearly 36 mpg in a 7k lb truck - you know something is not adding up.
the DIC is just a computer... GIGO... garbage in garbage out

have you checked the things mentioned above

tire pressure
air conditioning...
are you driving with windows open
brakes
air filter
injectors clean
proper tire size... were they swapped at the dealer
tune up

adjusting driving habits... the number ONE gas saver is.... SLOWING DOWN
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM

saw the post about buying gas in the morning when the air is cool???

the storage tanks are buried in the ground... unless you live in death valley i am not sure that the ground temp is going vary much four or five feet down during a given day... isn t that why our grand parents used root cellers. wouldn t have more to do with the temperature of the gas that is in your tank... not sure how the recovery systems work in modern cars but way back in the 60s... in vegas if you filled your tank in the morning you watched it vent to ground in the afternoon... i am sure that they catch it some how...

i am pretty sure the gas in the ground stays a fairly constant temp (taking in to account wheather it is a vault or tank buried in earth and the mass of liquid)... the gas in the delivery truck can change a fair amount... therefore changing the temp of the service station tank temp after a delivery. so we need to set up station watches... average the number of days between deliveries... and start buying gas on the day before a gas delivery.... that way all the crud in the tank will be settled also.

penny wise, pound poor... (?) drives to save gas then makes 3 trips to town in an hour and ahalf (16 miles round trip) sound like anyone you know?