Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

MP3 File and USB File type of question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 AM

MP3 File and USB File type of question

If any of you have read some of my earlier posts about the never ending USB compatibility issues in my SS, here is another question along those lines.
The dealer replaced my radio and I finally found a flashdrive that works......however......my replacement radio plays the flash fine except now on almost every song,there is what I can describe as a squeeling sound behind the music.It sounds like a hamster wheel turning,its annoying. So I took it to the dealer and they heard it said thats not normal....duh....so they ordered me ANOTHER radio...and that does the same thing. Then they suggested it was the files. Now I wont lie, I have some downloaded files but the majority are ripped directly from the real cd's. I told them it cant be the files as I use ripped mp3's and downloaded and they both do it.....PLUS.....NONE of these mp3's make the squeeling on a burnt cd (MP3 disc) when I play the cd in the radio. Also the flash sounds and plays FINE in any PC USB slot. I tried in an Acura USB and it sounds fine. I have had now 5 radios in my car since I bought in April. 3 for the USB issue and the others for not powering up. I give up. The dealer basically dont want to be bothered anymore with it. It's annoying enough that I am going back to just using the cd's now and making MP3 discs. Screw the USB. Oh, I forgot about my question......what type of files are you USB users using (burnt,ripped,downloaded..legal or not?).
Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 PM

loose the gm radio and go after market, i have no issues playing mp3's with aftermarket JVC unit
Old 10-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Yeah, after trying out the USB on a test drive, I wouldnt bother with it.
I heard audible clicking on some tracks, while others were ok. It probably has to do with the way the tracks were encoded. It could also be picky about the transfer rate of the USB device. Even if the sound is good, the features of the USB are limited. I dont think it handles playlists, and folder management isnt that good. Ive stuck with using a separate player via the aux jack.
However I did find the bluetooth for phone calling was handled much better, although it doesnt allow for music playback.
I was hoping GM would put a little more effort into the implementation, but it will probably come in future as the competition has done better.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 PM

The USB port is a definate dissapointment. I was thrilled to have one but have spent alot of money trying to find a compatible flash in the first place. The features sre not good,especially when you choose shuffle,it tends to play the same sequence of songs over and over. Really not a great design. Just so you know,the GM engineers know that is not up to par and they want to have 2010-2011 models come with a hard drive so you can copy files into it instead of the USB. They told us this when we called tech-line. What aftermarket radios are you guys using and do they come with Bluetooth and USB like the factory one in mine?