Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Tweeter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Tweeter question

I recently replaced the tweeters in the pillars with Apline S-Type tweeters. instead of using the speaker connection in the pillar i chose to run the wires to the door speakers. the tweeters are VERY VERY bright. are the factory tweeters a higher OHM level than the rest of the speakers? i dont have a crossover, the Type-S components run a -12db inline.

i am running Imprint, but cannot trim the tweeter level, any help is much apprciated.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Deceased

This thread outlines the speaker impedence on the stock and optional premium systems, for anything else, I'll step aside for the hardcore audio people to weigh in.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/stock-speaker-impedance-38734/
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Did the Alpines come with the inline cross over ? I would assume so and would also assume the -12 db is in reference to the inline cross over. The -12 db should be the slope of the cross over . (ie . -12 db per octave) . So for every octave the output drops 12 db.
You have an Imprint installed ? Good , then the fix is simple . What head unit are you using ?
I am very familiar with the imprint and can walk you through the process. Simply plug in the microphone , slide the disc into your alpine player and wait until the auto eq is completed . Problem solved ......
Check this vid out on youtube.....
Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 AM
Premium Member

Should have just put the stock tweeters on an amplifier. They sound 10 times better and louder.

Stock tweeters you can measure the impedance with an ohm meter. But don't use the wires. Use the direct contact on the tweeter or it won't work.

I tried a pair of $140 components from best buy and there was no difference from the stock tweeters. And I swapped out the tweeters and 6.5"s in the door. I left one side stock and the other was the kenwood component set.

And how did you wire everything? Wiring the tweeters to the door speakers = same exact way it's already wired from the factory xD

You can't tune the tweeters correctly unless they are on their own channel...other wise you tune out mid bass from the door speakers, etc
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM

The stock tweets have an inline filter soldered to the back side of it, that way the factory doesnt have to split the wiring from the door speaker with a stand along xover, stock tends to 'soften' the sound to apease the general public, so changing this out my have better results. I had the same thoughts about changing them as I have replaced doors with Infinities but left the stock tweets. Hooked up the Infinity tweets and didnt really hear any difference, but that may be because of the filters,,using a different filter might bring 'out' the sound better. I kinda light a brighter tweet then the factory,,though the head unit may have alot to do with this also as it doesnt have the range spectrum an aftermarket unit has. Factory i think my cut it off at 10hz where as I like it cut off around 2 to 4hz..creates a fuller brighter sound, and you start hearing things you didnt before.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shanes0406
I recently replaced the tweeters in the pillars with Apline S-Type tweeters. instead of using the speaker connection in the pillar i chose to run the wires to the door speakers. the tweeters are VERY VERY bright. are the factory tweeters a higher OHM level than the rest of the speakers? i dont have a crossover, the Type-S components run a -12db inline.

i am running Imprint, but cannot trim the tweeter level, any help is much apprciated.
Since you are running the inline passive x-over's that means that your tweets and mids are sharing amp channels and thus are connected to the same channels of your processor. Because of this the HI level adjustment feature of the Imprint processor will not be usable. The only way you are going to be able to make adjustements to your tweeters (with this install setup) is to use the eq channels that your tweets are playing. This would be from 4-5K and up.

But if you do not want to mess with this yourself then do as MsBecky said and let the processor do it for you. Although if you already did that from the get go and they are still too bright for you then you are going to have to use the EQ yourself.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM

I ended up using a set of Type R crossovers i had forgotten I had. I removed the inline -12db crossover and used the components running -6db on each side. the result was a quiter, but way more controlled sound. I seemed to have lost some lower frquency output, but I should be able to correct that through my amp. Thanks for all your insights every one, the new crossover did the trick!