Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

tweeter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 08:47 AM

Dont know what to blame at this point. Ill try a start up with the stereo off and see what noise it makes if any. The "static" crackling noise is always the same level sound wise. I was hoping that someone had this same problem and had a fix. Odd thing is, if I shut car off and restart it right away, it doesnt make the noise.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:04 AM

If your radio remembers the presets, it has power to it always no matter if you turn the knob or not. The amplifier section is just turned off.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:19 AM

If you don't open the driver door, the radio plays for 10 minutes after you turn the key to off. See if it makes the noise upon restart with the driver door open.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:02 PM

I'm heading out to test it right now. Test 1 was turn radio off, start vehicle and then radio on. Did that and no static noise. Going to test everything mentioned and have a few cold ones. On an unrelated event, drove down the driveway today ( long driveway) just about to the road and heard a huge "twang" from behind me. I'm gonna guess the rear coil spring snapped. The timing on this could have been a little better. Tomorrow I'm helping my son put shocks and coil springs in his Cobalt. I could have saved some shipping prices from Rock Auto had this happened last week, oh well.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:00 PM

Both tweeters work okay. Started car with door open and no noise. Drivers door speaker chimes with door open. Close door and speaker works as it should. Probably normal. I can live with this little glitch of a noise at start up.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:18 PM

Perhaps a different power source for the radio would help.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:59 PM

Defective components in electronics can cause them to produce transient pulses. Capacitor or condenser or something. Ask an electronics engineer, not me. Regardless of the source, transients are usually the culprit in damage to speakers that aren’t abused. They gradually (or suddenly and catastrophically) burn through the insulation in the coil wire. Here’s some scattershot - it could be static electricity from sliding into of the car. Is it worse in dry weather? Do you have cloth seats? You could try applying some anti-static spray to the seats and floor mats and/or carpet. Static probablems could have something to do with a bad ground at the radio or elsewhere.

The car with the popping speakers also gave me a shock every time I got out.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:12 PM

Is this the actual stock tweeter?

I’m pretty disappointed with GM for using these to be installed for a Pioneer head unit.
I’ve since replaced the stock unit and door speakers, but I just had a chance to see the tweeters, and I have to say it’s very disappointing to say the least.

Looks like 2 inch max speakers are possible, based on the measurement between screws.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for replacements with a specific brand/wattage/ohm >< as it seems that these are set up with (perhaps?) an unnecessary suppressor built into the oem tweeters.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Check Crutchfield website for recommendations
Old 07-05-2023, 07:41 AM

I commented on your other thread but I too am getting ready to replace my tweeters.The stock units have a 2.7 ohm impedance so you will want to get as close to that as possible .If you go higher you will want a sensitivity above 90 dbs.I have chosen these as they are 3ohm and I already have Infinity speakers in the rear doors.Not that brand matters all that much.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R37...REF-375TX.html
They are cheaper on Amazon but I can't get conformation on whether the crossover is included which you will need to install.
Amazon Amazon
I may just grab them from Amazon.If they don't come with the crossover I can always return them.(penny pincher)

Quick Reply: tweeter replacement