Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Rear Drum Noises (Please HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Unhappy Rear Drum Noises (Please HELP!)

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This weekend I decided to change all of the brakes on my 07 1LT with 67k miles.

The fronts are easy peasy, but this is the first time I've encountered the "new design" rear drums. It was a real PITA to get the e brake cable disconnected/reconnected. I wonder why they decided on this change?

Anyway, back to my reason for posting. I am now experiencing a thump/click at low speed braking in the rear. Imagine putting a baseball card in between your bicycle tires.

I replaced the shoes, installed a new hardware kit, new drums & have adjusted the shoes until they are touching the drums.

In my 20 years of doing this maintenance on my vehicles, this is the first time I've ever encountered this, and I'm puzzled.

I read a review for the drums I purchased from Advance Auto Parts that mentioned something similar - could it be the drums?

I've spent about 6 hours on these rear brakes this weekend, and just want it over with. From what I can tell the brakes are operating properly, but what is making this damned thumping noise?

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 PM

Smile djbirkbeck

As a tired mechanic, I have just solved the same problem on my 07..The problem lies in the turning of the drums, a course turning is like fine threads that cause the shoes to move outward then snap back causing the noise. Have the drums lightly turned on finest setting possible, that should take care of problem.:
Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. After I posted this I started googling my heart out and have found pretty much a consensus that out of round drums seem to be to blame.

This is our only vehicle, so I have no way to have it out of commission to get them turned. Would it be safe to put the old drums back on? I generally don't do that when I replace brakes (I do turn when possible).

I'm guessing that's what I'll be doing when the wife gets home. Yay me.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Smile djbirkbeck

If you could get a hold of mechanics emery cloth and lightly scrub the drums, anything to break up the turning pattern, would work also.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by djbirkbeck
If you could get a hold of mechanics emery cloth and lightly scrub the drums, anything to break up the turning pattern, would work also.
Would AAA steel wool suffice?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM

djbirkbeck

Generally as a rule of thumb, new disc/drums should be checked for out of round or wobble..Out of round drums will give you a lurching sensation..Try sanding the drums even with sand paper just to break up the turning threads.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by djbirkbeck
As a tired mechanic, I have just solved the same problem on my 07..The problem lies in the turning of the drums, a course turning is like fine threads that cause the shoes to move outward then snap back causing the noise. Have the drums lightly turned on finest setting possible, that should take care of problem.:
That is the typical answer, on new drums you might try a good emery cloth scratching.

There is also the universal spring sometimes breaks or gets installed incorrectly. Mayhaps, the self-adjuster is backwards? Adjusted a click or so too tight?

Anyway, you are doomed to taking it all apart and putting it back together at least one more time.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Smile djbirkbeck

AAA STEEL WOOL? you must dabble in wood working.. Steel wool probably is too fine, try a 240 grit or there a bouts sand paper.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 PM

Unless you went metal to metal the old drums should be fine.

Did you test the bearings? Any end play that you can feel is out as well as any wobble that you can feel specs are something like .0015 inch.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Unless you went metal to metal the old drums should be fine.

Did you test the bearings? Any end play that you can feel is out as well as any wobble that you can feel specs are something like .0015 inch.
Good to know about the old drums. Nothing wrong with the bearings afaik.