Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Help with horrible mpg 15-16mpg only

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Unhappy Help with horrible mpg 15-16mpg only

Hi guys, hope youre having excellent day,

My problem is with the mpg that I am getting and the known noises in the suspension but that is no problem the problem is the cost of the fuel ,

My everyday driving is not hard, and Iam getting in the city 15-16mpg around 6.2-6.6km/L, even after the service,
I have to say that there is no any code or bad behavior in the HHR, it feels smooth, when I drive hard the mpg is worst so imagine that.

Can I get some advice of what to check?
I suspect that this is happening since one service, where they cleaned the injectors with a can of cleaner with pressure, maybe they are not spraying well I dont know, I didnt pay attention those days. Before that I use to get between 20-22mpg 8.5-9.5km/L.

I can think that maybe the Injectors are clogged or not spraying well, Does anyone know a how-to for removing the injectors and get it cleaned by ultrasonic? this because I found a place where they clean the injectors by ultrasonic, and change the o rings and microfilters and make some tests but Ihave to send it uninstalled.

for your information I have.
Mobil synthetic 5w30,
filter of air and oil new
new original spark plugs with the recommended gap .040.
good spark.
good tires and new struts.
62000miles on the HHR.
throttle body clean.

I appreciate any help.
thanks.

My dream is to get 20 or 21 that would be great
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Technical Moderator

E-85? If Mexico has gone the way of Brazil you are going to get that kind of mileage.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Deceased

What grade of fuel are you running Gsus?

PEMEX 'Magna Sin' or 'Magna Premium'?

You might want to experiment with a change from the 90 Octane Magna Sin to the 92 Octane Magna Premium.

Or change where you're purchasing your fuel, PEMEX has improved greatly since I was in Mexico City in the 80's when it varied from "very good" to "this stuff wouldn't burn if you drop a match in it".
Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 AM

Hi donbrew/843de,
Im not sure of what is E-85? about fuel I have been using Magna sin green, according with some experienced people in the fuel subject, its practically the same but with less power, even when I used to get more milage I used green 90 oct fuel. for Christmas I was on vacations in Dallas Tx I always selected the second option, dont remember wich one and it was practically the same behavior,
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 AM
Deceased

E85 is an abbreviation for an ethanol fuel blend of 85% denatured ethanol fuel and 15% gasoline or other hydrocarbon by volume, although the exact ratio of fuel ethanol to hydrocarbon can vary considerably while still carrying the E85 label.

And I'm not sure it's marketed yet by PEMEX, it's not even that common in many areas of the U.S.

GM vehicles badged as FlexFuel capable with yellow fuel caps are capable of running on E85, it should never be used in a non-FlexFuel vehicle as severe engine and fuel system damage will occur.

When you were in Dallas it sounds like you used what we refer to as Mid-Grade gasoline which has an octane rating of 89 in most cases.

I'm a bit baffled by your poor mileage, but there is one thing you can try as an experiment. Disconnect your NEGATIVE battery cable for approximately 30 minutes.(Only the NEGATIVE cable, no need to disturb the Positive cable) This will reset the ECM(Engine Control Module)fuel trim settings back to what is called the "Learn Down" mode.

Then drive your HHR as you normally would to see it resetting the ECM has a positive effect on your mileage.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Gsus
about fuel I have been using Magna sin green, according with some experienced people in the fuel subject, its practically the same but with less power, even when I used to get more milage I used green 90 oct fuel.
I don't know specifics, but that sounds exactly like the description of E-85, or whatever Brasil is calling the mandated stuff they are using.