General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

a common occurance of HHR buyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by DavidF
I wasn't really too concerned about color, but every salesman I've dealt with seems to think it is important, Just picked up my SOM one today!

Congratulations on your new car!

IMHO I think that the reason that color is important to salespeople is that (even if they are not consciously aware of it) up until color is selected it just a vehicle, just a car, just transportation, just a buying decision but once a color (a every subjective thing) is chosen it becomes personal and a very individual thing. As soon as you pick or request a color the salesperson knows they pretty much have you. But I could be wrong, again
Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 PM

if im gonna part 23-30 grand on a vehicle , im gonna get the color and options i want. I refused to be talked into something else, rather wait for the just the right one and be content. We are not talking about trying out a $5 box of new cereal and tossing it out because it wasnt what you were expecting. Its a major purchase item with my hard earned money....if the dealer dont have...adios!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by chooch
if im gonna part 23-30 grand on a vehicle , im gonna get the color and options i want. I refused to be talked into something else, rather wait for the just the right one and be content. We are not talking about trying out a $5 box of new cereal and tossing it out because it wasnt what you were expecting. Its a major purchase item with my hard earned money....if the dealer dont have...adios!
I agree with your point, it's just in this case, color wasn't that important to me. I like high end options, but not leather so it's sometimes hard to find what I want. In this case, I told the guy that I wanted a 2LT with airbags but no leather or sunroof; not one available in the OKC metro of a million people...so it came from 130 miles away.

On some other vehicles, color did matter and I totally would have waited if it meant getting what I want. I understand the whole subjective nature of the color choice and how when you pick one you are begining to take "ownership" of the vehicle, but I could have pictured myself in other color choices this time around and still would have bought.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM

To me color makes the vehicle. I had seen the HHR at a show before they were released and knew I was interested. A year later the panel was at the same show and I was hooked. Still took me a while to accept FWD. I orderd my panel as I wanted it. Dealer tried to get me to take what was on the lot, but I wouldn't change my mind with the exception of a 2LT and 2008 over the 1LT and 2007 as the options I wanted were standard on the 2LT or available. 2.4, 5spd, side air bags and Victory Red. Cheaper to go with a 2LT.

Price was not as much of an issue as was the color and equipment. If it wasn't what I wanted, then price would not make me happy.

Name:  HHRSIDELowered.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  55.2 KB
Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM

Well, I guess I choose something unusual, which is what I was going for... Orange is less than 1% of the market.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...Nob3QtY29sb3Jz

Those of you who have white are now part of the "in crowd"
Old 01-23-2008, 11:20 PM

That stat above is interesting, although do you think that white fleet vehicles are considering in those stats? Because my dad is a dealer who sells a LOT of white fleet trucks and vans. Interesting though.

Since my dad is the dealer, I was able to get exactly what I wanted as far as exterior color and features (sunroof and enhanced sound were important). Although I did settle on a gray interior instead of ebony. The gray is nice, but I think ebony would've helped hide dirt, especially on the floor boards. Here in the winter I'm kind of regretting that decisions, because the snow gets tracked in Small potatoes though I suppose.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 AM

Ok.....Here's My Story!!

Name:  BeachBums2LT2006.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  217.9 KB

So, my wife found our HHR on Ebay.....My "Woody" was an "Estate" car, which had been in probate for a year!! The original owner died after having the HHR for 4 months. He did all the customizations seen in this photo.

This HHR had 4,600 miles on it, a 2006 2LT model, fully loaded. Still had the window sticker......original price before customizations...$24,000. The "add-ons" included the "Woody" kit.....the side vents....the grille...and woodgrain interior...

So, my point is.......this $27,000 +/- HHR....ended up costing us $16,859...and it was in the color I had wanted. Here is a pic....

BeachBum
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 AM

I had no concerns about color.........as long as it was black
Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by johnbegone
That stat above is interesting, although do you think that white fleet vehicles are considering in those stats? Because my dad is a dealer who sells a LOT of white fleet trucks and vans. Interesting though.
I'm sure that white fleets are a factor, hadn't thought about that before. I have owned a couple of white cars though.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Orange caught my eye. I liked it...ALOT.
But now that I have my DSM, I am glad i didnt get orange.

a few reasons:

1)many people here have orange HHR's, and although I still like the color, one reason I liked it was because it was bold, stood out, and wasnt as 'common'...seems it IS common amoungst entusiasts.
2)resale. I would have virtually eliminated anyone interested in buying my used HHR in the future that didnt like orange
3)I didnt like how plain/dull orange looked when it was dirty...as I have mentioned in the past, the orange 07 1LT I went to look at originally, was filthy, and knowing how sharp they looked when clean and blingy, it didnt have the chrome appearance package, and it was dirty...and the dirt was very uncomplimenting of the color.

Now that I have DSM, I am VERY glad. it looks the same clean or dirty, it is pretty much a universal color that most people would/could live with, and it leaves me a nice, "goes with anything" color should i ever decide to do some custom graphics/two-tone paint work.

subjective?...sure...I like it. In photos, it doesnt look anything like it does in person...which is why it didnt catch my eye while internet shopping...but seeing DSM in person, it looked great, and I have no regrets.