General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

First time service on Throttle Body/MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:07 PM

First time service on Throttle Body/MAF Sensor

Well ..

I finally got to this "Bucket List" job today and it went well considering how dirty the throttle body was in only 31,000 miles.

Followed Old Blues instructions to a "T"

Thanks for the info Steve.

Used the CRC cleaning kit.

Replaced the Air Cleaner again.

Took the white grease off of the 3 air box grommets and replaced it with Silicone Grease.

Here is what I did on the throttle body to clean it with the spray cleaner.

The spray really did very little on it's own to remove the gunk.
I realized early on I was not going to win this battle unless I could come up with a better way to clean it.

Here is what I did and it worked real well once I figured out the best way to do it.

I have a package of very small artist brushes that I bought at WalMart some time ago to use for paint touch up.
I found the best way to use one was not to spray the throttle body and then try to brush because the solvent evaporated to quickly for that to work properly.
Instead I took a medium size plastic sink pan and set the throttle body in the center.
I set the tub so it was just a bit low on one corner and then sprayed enough cleaner to make a decent puddle of cleaner.
Then I dipped the brush in the puddle repeatedly and went after the gunk on both sides of the throttle body.
The brushes are small and gentle to use so they allow you not only clean the open area but to get right at the throttle body valve and clean all around and even under it in several areas without disturbing it.
It was tough stuff to remove so it took a some time but it looked great when I finished cleaning.
If I would not have come up with that idea, the spray treatment would not have done much of a job at all.
I am attaching a picture of the brushes I used and as I recall the price was only about $3 for all.

Took the HHR for quick a test drive and it seamed to make a difference with my hesitation issue I have had since I purchased this HHR.
I will no more after a day or so of driving.

Hope the small brush idea helps others doing that job.

Silverfox
Attached Thumbnails First time service on Throttle Body/MAF Sensor-005.jpg  
Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Nice work, a Q-Tip or two will also get that hunk moving. Just Do Not move the butterfly manually. You will notice a little better fuel mileage also.
I told you , you could do it!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:00 AM

I've always used a shop towel and fingers.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:26 AM

I forgot to mention that the bristles on the small brushes have just a little stiffness and not a soft china bristle. That makes them just right for gently working around the throttle plate without moving it.
I expected the CRC spray to easily dissolve all of the Gunk, but that was not the case without using the brush to loosen it first.
After all the brushing I gave it a last heavy spray to wash anything left loose so it would dry clean.

In my quick test run I did notice that my surging shifts @ 40-50 disappeared to an earlier shift point and much softer as well.
I only drove a couple of miles yesterday so today I will get a better feel for all the improvement.
Because I do not have the exact service schedule for oil changes buy the previous owner and looking at all the gunk I just cleaned, I am going to continue my "Whopper" oil change routine every 3000 miles with Mobil One 5/30W for a while and then drop back too 4000 miles.
First change showed 50% at 3000 on the DIC.
Sorry guys .... I like clean oil.....and AC Filters.

Silverfox