General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Frustrated HHR owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Frustrated HHR owner

Hi All, first post.

I've owned an HHR since 09. It's an 06 that we bought from CARMAX for our daughter. Needless to say I've had multiple problems since, including no warranty. Currently dealing with a P0455 code ( have an Innova 3100e that doesn't tell me diddly when trying to diagnose this) that continues to rear it's ugly head. Have replaced the gas cap, and checked the entire EVAP system for leaks and am still looking for the culprit but not having any luck. Any suggestions?

History:

Replaced brake pads and rotors (went with drilled and slotted to reduce the heat) at 55,000 miles because the braking shaking got so bad it was undriveable. This, after CarMax said they replaced the pads before they sold it to us with 26K miles and turned the rotors after we complained about it.

Replaced the fuel pump at 63K miles (sucks having to drop the tank to do it) when it shut off while my daughter was driving it on the highway.

Want to replace the serpentine belt but can't because I can't even get into the compartment to loosen anything up let alone get my hands between the front of the motor and the wheel well.

Just found the cabin air filters that every one of the oil change guys say don't exist. Even though you can buy them at O'Reilly's.

Have an HVAC switch that only works on High. Talked to some buddys that said it's a little known relay that I can't find because I can't find any wiring diagrams anywhere.

Have a key fob that will not work even tho' it checks out fine when I take it to the parts store and use their diags to check it.

Have searched online and at the parts stores for any kind of maintenance info on this car. It does not exist as far as I can tell. What is GM hiding? I know it started out as a concept but COME ON. Give us something.

Anyway, any help would be sincerely appreciated because I can't afford to buy the daughter a new car and I'm not going to pay the outrageous prices GM wants to fix it.

Hoping you guys can Help.

Thanks in advance,

Dweazel

P.S. Do I need to invoke the "Lemon Law" on this one?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM

Good luck Mr. Zappa .

Dump it.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site Dweazel, don't worry the fellas here will hook u up with the information you need to get the Daughters trucklett (thanks Mike) dependable again.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Hvac switch....not relay, try the circuit board by the fan,,,when one of the transisters burn out it only works on high..easy fix..sometimes water will get in there and short them.
Key Fob..perhaps they gave you wrong one? Does anything work from it? Otherwise its a dealer only fix to have it " programmed"
Yup..no Chiltons or anything...but there is on this site a usuable manual you can download...use search
Plus! There are GM people here that can tell/show/guide you to whatever you may need....good luck!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Dweazel
Hi All, first post.

I've owned an HHR since 09. It's an 06 that we bought from CARMAX for our daughter. Needless to say I've had multiple problems since, including no warranty. Currently dealing with a P0455 code ( have an Innova 3100e that doesn't tell me diddly when trying to diagnose this) that continues to rear it's ugly head. Have replaced the gas cap, and checked the entire EVAP system for leaks and am still looking for the culprit but not having any luck. Any suggestions?

History:

Replaced brake pads and rotors (went with drilled and slotted to reduce the heat) at 55,000 miles because the braking shaking got so bad it was undriveable. This, after CarMax said they replaced the pads before they sold it to us with 26K miles and turned the rotors after we complained about it.

Replaced the fuel pump at 63K miles (sucks having to drop the tank to do it) when it shut off while my daughter was driving it on the highway.

Want to replace the serpentine belt but can't because I can't even get into the compartment to loosen anything up let alone get my hands between the front of the motor and the wheel well.

Just found the cabin air filters that every one of the oil change guys say don't exist. Even though you can buy them at O'Reilly's.

Have an HVAC switch that only works on High. Talked to some buddys that said it's a little known relay that I can't find because I can't find any wiring diagrams anywhere.

Have a key fob that will not work even tho' it checks out fine when I take it to the parts store and use their diags to check it.

Have searched online and at the parts stores for any kind of maintenance info on this car. It does not exist as far as I can tell. What is GM hiding? I know it started out as a concept but COME ON. Give us something.

Anyway, any help would be sincerely appreciated because I can't afford to buy the daughter a new car and I'm not going to pay the outrageous prices GM wants to fix it.

Hoping you guys can Help.

Thanks in advance,

Dweazel

P.S. Do I need to invoke the "Lemon Law" on this one?
to the forum Dweazel!

I guess I'll go in order to avoid confusion....

1. The P0455 code indicates a large vacuum leak in the EVAP system, based on the experiences of some other members here, you're probably dealing with a bad Purge Solenoid Valve(P/N-12597567). Before just changing it out, I'd recommend having a diagnostic check run by your dealer or a good independent tech.

2. Brake judder - Its mainly caused by the rear brakes being out of adjustment, the self adjusters on the HHR really don't self adjust worth a dang. A good number of us are manually adjusting the rear brakes up at every oil change or 5,000 miles, this eliminates the brake judder since the rear brakes are doing their fair share, and the fronts are no longer overworked. This thread will give you an idea of how to adjust your own rear brakes - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/proper-rear-drum-brake-adjustment-procedure-36754/

3. Fuel pump failure at 63,000 miles is unusual, not much more to say on that.

4. Unless you have access to a lift, or the special tool from GM, changing the serpentine belt is a job best left to your dealer. Its a bugger of a job.

5. Quick Lube techs are not the sharpest at times, so you're best off changing the cabin filter yourself, five to ten minute job.

6. That failing HVAC selector switch leads me to wonder if you're dealing with water ingress through a leaking butyl patch on the firewall. This thread will give you an idea of its location, and how to fix it, but if the switch did get soaked...it will have to be replaced. - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/fixed-my-water-leak-last-night-14263/

7. If you sourced the fob off of e-bay used, it won't work unless the vehicle is programmed, if its one of the originals have your dealer do a check. The diagnostic gadgets at auto parts stores just mainly tell you if the fob is emitting a signal, not if its functioning properly or matched to your vehicle.

8. Service manuals are only available in printed form from Helm Inc. You can find CD Rom copies of the service manuals on e-bay for reasonable prices.

If there is a specific section of the service manual for your '06 that you're looking for, shoot me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll gladly send it to you in PDF form.

If your owner's manual has gone missing, just click this link and then select your model year to download a copy.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/
Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 PM

All good answers above. Also on the key fob have you checked the solder joints on the battery hold down? Those are a weak point and can be easily fixed.
Welcome to the board, Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Technical Moderator

PM me for a link, because the item IgottaWoody referred to is no longer on this site.