General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Blower/Vent Switch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:51 PM

HHR Blower/Vent Switch Issues

I have been having a weird issue with my 2007 HHR and I am curious if anyone has any ideas at all to possibly help before having a car repair person look at it...

This has only happened twice because I'm so cautious about it, but I can't really move the switch/turn the knob between front vents, feet vents, defrost, etc because when I do that, my blower tends to temporarily stop working. I physically hear the motor/vent/whatever that piece is switch on the inside when I try to move it from front vent to defrost, and it takes a second to recognize that, then when I move it back, sometimes it'll be slow but it might work again. Then the next time I get in my car, the blower doesn't work at all on any setting on any level low or high blow. HOWEVER, I have been able to fix this twice now by driving on the interstate at a high, consistent speed (above 60) for about 5 miles then the blower seems to kick back on slowly then it works fine again. I then just leave the setting on vents and don't move it, and the issue doesn't continue; the second time the setting got moved my passenger accidentally did it...

I really just want to know whether or not it would be an easy fix as I have 320K miles on my car (but otherwise it is running GREAT, nothing else is wrong with it) and I don't know how someone could even do an estimate on it because it's not a consistent issue that is easy to explain to a repair man... wanted to see if anyone on here had a similar issue and knew what the problem source is...

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't really understand. It kind of sounds like the fan is giving up.

Or you don't know that you have a cabin air filter and it has collapsed into the fan. from age If the car is a 2006, this could be caused by a water leak.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 PM

Sounds like a faulty HVAC head unit.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:40 PM

I just took mine in for service after 4 years of ownership. The drivers wiper froze and I didn't know it. The arm popped off of the transmission I guess. The summer before I tried to use the A/C and it wouldn't come on and then it started working perfectly when winter came. The next summer I figured out it doesn't come on when it's warmer than about 80 F outside but it would put out heat. Then I found out it would cool down quite a bit if I turned up the heat three notches. So that's how I went through the summer with the windows down. I found a perfect salvage unit on Ebay for $30. The drivers speaker went out and I found a brand new one on Ebay for $25. I took it in and told the mechanic to replace those and get all three wipers and replace them for about $145. Not a bad deal I thought. Would have been about twice that when I lived near Atlanta I would imagine.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Technical Moderator

And then you looked in your kitchen junk drawer and found your screwdriver. But, your guy had his in his hand, that's worth $90.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by rhomanski
I just took mine in for service after 4 years of ownership. The drivers wiper froze and I didn't know it. The arm popped off of the transmission I guess. The summer before I tried to use the A/C and it wouldn't come on and then it started working perfectly when winter came. The next summer I figured out it doesn't come on when it's warmer than about 80 F outside but it would put out heat. Then I found out it would cool down quite a bit if I turned up the heat three notches. So that's how I went through the summer with the windows down. I found a perfect salvage unit on Ebay for $30. The drivers speaker went out and I found a brand new one on Ebay for $25. I took it in and told the mechanic to replace those and get all three wipers and replace them for about $145. Not a bad deal I thought. Would have been about twice that when I lived near Atlanta I would imagine.
Doesn't seem to be the same issue as the OP has, and a lot of unrelated information.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Administrator

But his AC wasn’t working at sometime or other.