General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

National HHR Meet

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Another resourse is getting all of our local dealers involved. I know I can get help from two dealers here in St. Louis.

So, who wants to help put this together?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 PM

Yep, If you build it I would go...... Nuttins to far for me, I am good at renting HHRs when it is too far to drive or not enough time..
Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 PM

I've got at least 2 dealers that I know people at that I can talk to.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM

I agree Branson would be a great choice; I'd be willing to help with the planning of this as well. We could ever do regional events across the US and Canada the same weekend for those areas that are too remote, like areas of Alaska, Canada, and the far corners. With some sponsored help, local dealerships, Chevy and the local media we could have a remote link to pull us all together at the main national event. Possibly have some pre event drawings for free gas, food and lodging to the national event for a few remote regional members. I also agree now is the time to start pulling it altogether.

Curtis & Deb
Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 PM

Question National Meet

OK, I know how much some of you would like to have a national HHR meet, but do you know just how much work goes into hosting one ????

Well I do, I have been involved with hosting a GTOAA meet and a Pontiac Oakland Club national Conventions. In '95 the WNY GTO gang hosted a national meet on Grand Island for almost 200 GTO's. There were 26 GM Pontiac vendors set up to sell there parts. Some with reproduction parts and others with used parts left over from there restorations.
In '83 & again in '99 the WNY Pontiac club hosted national meets. In '83 we were in Niagara Falls, NY. In '99 we held it at the Raddison Hotel across from the Buffalo International Airport. All three were in the first weeks of July when most kids are out of school. We sloted a group of rooms at the host hotel and back up room at near by hotels.
The GTO meet had around 700 people and 200 cars. But the POCI meet's both hosted around 3500 guests, with 500 cars each.

Both National Clubs require Chapters to submit a plan to host a convention TWO years inadvance. Hotel location, room costs, parking area for show cars, everyday cars and of corse truck's towing show cars. And any tours to go on. All this planning takes the full two years so all goes smoothly. We had GM backing of only a small amount of $$. The rest comes from Preregistration fees.

You need a core of about 20 - 30 people to have it all happen that week. Now you need to take into account that Pontiac's have been around from 1929 - 2007, just look at how many cars were built during this time frame. GTO's were built from 1964 - 1974 with a small come back in 2004 - 2007.

POCI has a membership of around 10,000. GTOAA around 7,000. We do not see many of them at national meets as it is. Just how many HHR's do you think will show ?? Most HHR owners are using them for every day getting around and are not even interested in going to a local show and sitting with the car for 6 hours on a Saturday or Sunday in the hot sun. Take a look at how many HHR's are signed up for the Tonawanda Engine Plant car show on the 18th, only 12. I know of at least 20 other's running around WNY street's.

I have also attended both Oldsmobile, Ford, Edsel, Buick and MG clubs national meets here and they all are not attened very well. This is only a quick glance at what I feel it takes to please your people ???

I think we need to keep thing's on a local level for now.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM

Hey on second thought we could have our kids organize fund raisers to send us parents to ChevyHHR camp.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Considering HHRs will never have the numbers of a whole brand, we don't need that extensive planning, IMO. I mean come on, the model will be around 5-10 years tops, so the numbers will be smaller.

I do agree that 2008 may be too soon. But that doesn't mean that we can't start the planning for 2009.

If all we do is wait, this will never happen.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 PM

Annual events never come together for anything if no one is willing to start it in the first place. It doesn't have to start off as a monster gathering, nor does it have to even grow into one. Just something for all our members to say they were a part of when the HHR was with us. Who know maybe the numbers of sales and popularity will drive Chevy to continue making the HHR.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by rcsart
Annual events never come together for anything if no one is willing to start it in the first place. It doesn't have to start off as a monster gathering, nor does it have to even grow into one. Just something for all our members to say they were a part of when the HHR was with us. Who know maybe the numbers of sales and popularity will drive Chevy to continue making the HHR.
Very well said!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Founding Member

Yes, this thing has started in the past and fizzled out because of 'control issues' and childish bickering over stupid stuff.

I don't want to be the athlete, but I'll be an athletic supporter! (have fun with the pun)

My spin on this is.... if someone plans it, we will come.

Quick Reply: National HHR Meet