General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Snow driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 PM

If you've never driven in snow , then Don't even try to drive in Chicago !
I've lived in Indiana all my life and I won't even try driving in Chicago , I rather take the train it's safer , cheaper , and less stressfull ! but if you must take the advice some of the other HHR members . but above all B SAFE !!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Uma

I would suggest that you just do everything slow. I live in a place where people do not even know how to drive in rain. So, let off the gas early and feather the brakes, if the brakes lock up...you have to let off, it is against all natural reflexes, but do that and steer, feather the brakes. You will be fine, have a great time! Todd (uma)
Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 PM

If you have to drive in the city, park it and use mass transit. You can probably get a feel for it in the rural outskirts, but someone who is not used to snow driving in an urban environment is a recipe for a disaster.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM

If it snows while your there, rent a 24' U'Haul and load the HHR in the back and haul Butt!! Everybody gets outta the way of a Uhaul!!( They know how crazy the drivers are)
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Fill the washer fluid. Check the antifreeze, Check the tires to see if you have good tread and get a snow brush.

If you have average skills, traction control and stability control snow driving is not an issue. It is the others who live here that just have no clue how to drive because they do not have even average driving skills.

If you get ice where you are at in TX it is worse than snow. I would much rather have 10 inches of snow than a glaze of ice.

Avoid rush hour if it snows and you should be fine. When I worked nights no matter how bad the roads were getting home was never an issue if I had no one blocking the way.

While some drive too fast some drive too slow. I also love the ones who slow or stop before a hill????

When I am coming home here at rush our I take to the back roads where no one goes and get right trough. I do not fear the snow just the other drivers.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
When I am coming home here at rush our I take to the back roads where no one goes and get right trough. I do not fear the snow just the other drivers.
Very true. Avoidance is worth a pound of body work.

As a 25 year veteran New Yorker who frequents the Big Apple for business, but lives upstate in the country, I am a firm believer of "vehicular confrontation avoidance", as me and my co-workers call it. Many of us park our vehicles outside the city and use PATH, MTA subway or buses to navagate through the city, not because of things that we can control (our driving ability), but those we cannot (other's driving abilities).

If you have a bashed up HHR and don't care about cosmetic damage or insurance premiums, you can take your chances in a large city, especially in the snow. My HHR only seen Manhattan once and that was last summer when it was unavoidable to take the car into the urban jungle. We came away unscathed, but I had my concerns.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 AM

thanks for the replys everyone

id say im going to avoid the city all together. i have a good know how on my driving skills. i learned alot before i even got my DL haha. like in the parking lot and stuff like that

i checked my tires. there doing pretty okay.
what kind of tire pressure should i be looking for? i have the stock 16 inch tires from the factory on still

also to the one who said something about ice on the roads here in texas. i have had a "moment" while driving on an icee road. i lost controll. but regained after doing a spin. while doing the spin i though about what people had told me way back when ( i had a truck durning that btw) and it got me out pretty good.

although i dont know if ill like the drive on the way to chicago

also one more question

if driving under the speed limit. how much should i go under the speed limit, that would still be safe for me so no one runs in to me ?
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 AM

If you make it to Chicago and don't hit someone,go in the ditch, hit a guard rail or get your ass beat. IMO it will be a miracle. If you hit someone with Texas plates on your car you just may get your ass beat. If you drive very slow other drivers will no that you do not no what you are doing and will be pissed off. They may cut you off, tail gate you or slam on the brakes just to watch you spin out. If you turn on a side street and get stuck in the snow do you no how to get out(NO) Better dress warm so you don't freeze while walking. I see no one told you if it is snowing really hard you can't see the road either. A Texan driving in snow makes about as much since as a snowmobiler going to texas to ride it. IMO cowboy stay home and live or take your chances and your chances are not good.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Uma
if the brakes lock up...you have to let off, it is against all natural reflexes, but do that and steer, feather the brakes. You will be fine, have a great time! Todd (uma)
If you have ABS this is BAD advice. It's standard on the 2LT and was optional on the others until '09 when I believe it became standard on all.

With ABS, you just mash the pedal and let it do the work. The ABS system will pulsate the brakes for you. Another thing that some people still don't realize is that ABS allows you to keep some directional control as well. You can still steer to get out of the way of obstacles/vehicles!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by GrotesqueFetus6
thanks for the replys everyone

id say im going to avoid the city all together. i have a good know how on my driving skills. i learned alot before i even got my DL haha. like in the parking lot and stuff like that

i checked my tires. there doing pretty okay.
what kind of tire pressure should i be looking for? i have the stock 16 inch tires from the factory on still

also to the one who said something about ice on the roads here in texas. i have had a "moment" while driving on an icee road. i lost controll. but regained after doing a spin. while doing the spin i though about what people had told me way back when ( i had a truck durning that btw) and it got me out pretty good.

although i dont know if ill like the drive on the way to chicago

also one more question

if driving under the speed limit. how much should i go under the speed limit, that would still be safe for me so no one runs in to me ?

I agree do not go below the speed limit as either you be in the crash or cause it. Just keep with the current flow of traffic. If you go puttering around at a slower speed hit the streets and keep off the highway.

More accidents car cause buy the one guy well under the speed limit and everyone checking up behind him.

Look you are not going to die if it snows. If people low driving skills dies evrytime it snowed we would not have any hate for winter driving here.

Some here like to make a bigger deal out of it than needed. The fact is even in the snow and ice 90% of the time the main roads are just wet or sloppy. They do keep them well salted or what ever they use now. Remember we also have plows and salt trucks you don't have.

The fact is you are in more danger getting off the wrong Exit in a bad neighbor hood or the guy on the cell phone than the snow getting you.

FYI: that ice spin was a lot worse than the snow. The snow is not as bad as it give your car something to grab and see vs black ice. I know in my areas we thank God when we see the video from down south with the many cars spinning into a big pile. We seldom get that here ever.

Quick Reply: Snow driving?