General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Snow driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM

Something you can do when slowing to a stop is place your HHR in neutral and feather your brakes.
We get a lot of ice around here as well as 1-2" of hard packed snow at times and even in my 4X4 I place it in neutral when stopping. You slow better and with more control than when your drive train is working at pushing at the same time.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by drag770n
If you make it to Chicago and don't hit someone,go in the ditch, hit a guard rail or get your ass beat. IMO it will be a miracle. If you hit someone with Texas plates on your car you just may get your ass beat. If you drive very slow other drivers will no that you do not no what you are doing and will be pissed off. They may cut you off, tail gate you or slam on the brakes just to watch you spin out. If you turn on a side street and get stuck in the snow do you no how to get out(NO) Better dress warm so you don't freeze while walking. I see no one told you if it is snowing really hard you can't see the road either. A Texan driving in snow makes about as much since as a snowmobiler going to texas to ride it. IMO cowboy stay home and live or take your chances and your chances are not good.
wow to be honest. you sound like a real dbag.
im far from a "cowboy" i wasnt even born in texas.
and i love to see someone try some **** like that one me.

and from what i heard from my dad i am getting a good understanding of how to get out of snow thank you very much ! mud is a little harder to get out of. id rather deal with being stuck in the snow any day

also one more note!

i have no choice of deciding if i want to go there or not.
its a family matter if you really must know
Old 11-22-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Something you can do when slowing to a stop is place your HHR in neutral and feather your brakes.
We get a lot of ice around here as well as 1-2" of hard packed snow at times and even in my 4X4 I place it in neutral when stopping. You slow better and with more control than when your drive train is working at pushing at the same time.
thanks ill remember all these things while driving.

i hope if im real lucky theres not much snow.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Hey Im not a dirt bag, really. I see the advice you are getting from people that have driven in snow and ice most of there lives. Sorry about the cowboy thing. Just be very CAREFUL. A friend of mine came up from Florida 2 years ago, had never driven on snow rear ended a guy in a pick-up and got his ass beat. I was not making up a story. Sorry
Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 PM
ecl

Just use common sense slow down and pay attention. We get a lot of snow here and a lot of tourist or people just driving through that have no idea how to drive in the snow, even some locals still havent caught on, but for the most part people are understanding that not every one knows how to drive in the snow and cuts them a break. Accidents happen to even the most expierenced drivers in the snow. My advice is just slow down and take it easy dont try to rush any thing.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Thumbs up winter driving

Dear Gro,

Winter diving is like walking on an icy skating rink.....you do it slowly and deliberately.

Robert below had the best advice which is to find an empty lot and practice how it feels and what the car does. Front drive and 4 season tires makes it possible to drive without much drama.

Take your time, learn to steer into the direction of any skid you end up in until you gain control. 15 laps around the snowy lot at speed (away from cars and lamp posts) will teach you so much. Once on the road attempting hills, you will learn the law of gaining momentum to make a steep grade and not to be afraid.

My parents were from Pennsylvania and were used to winter driving. I remember how they laughed at all of the scared southern drivers.
Practice and practice, with experience you'll ace it. The HHR is a good snow bound car, enjoy it!

QR
Old 11-22-2009, 02:01 PM

My advise take a taxi....
Old 11-22-2009, 02:11 PM

its not that bad.

if you have abs, dont just hold the pedal down if you start sliding when coming to a stop, release and reapply. the initial grab is stronger then the pulse

if you have t/c and the tires slip when you take off, give it more gas.
the t/c is a little weird and its better to give it more gas.

always give yourself extra room to stop or slow down.

you can downshift with your foot off the gas with an auto.

stay in the middle of the lane, avoid the edges where buildup of snow or slush sits

in a double lane road, dont excessively change lanes, slush builds up between the flow of traffic.

be careful passing trucks, they can kick up a bunch of crap into your windshield.

dont get nervous or panic, you have insurance (i hope)
Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 PM

All good advice.
I'll remind you that cruise control is recommended against in rain & snow.

You did say that you're leaving the driving to someone else and just want to get your car "Northernized" for the snow.

It can be a blast to drive in sometimes.
I like to go out in my 4X4 in the middle of blizzards or ice storms but it is a beater so if anything happens oh well.

You don't need to be from Texas or Florida to get treated like **** either.
It happens whenever I go out of state, there are *******s everywhere.
Luckily there few and far between.

You'll be fine.

Just don't forget your Knitted Willy Warmer http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/snake-willy-warmer.html
We all wear them, like gloves & hats
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by drag770n
Hey Im not a dirt bag, really. I see the advice you are getting from people that have driven in snow and ice most of there lives. Sorry about the cowboy thing. Just be very CAREFUL. A friend of mine came up from Florida 2 years ago, had never driven on snow rear ended a guy in a pick-up and got his ass beat. I was not making up a story. Sorry
no problem
i thought you were being an Ahole at first

lol

Quick Reply: Snow driving?