General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Snow driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
All good advice.
I'll remind you that cruise control is recommended against in rain & snow.

You did say that you're leaving the driving to someone else and just want to get your car "Northernized" for the snow.

It can be a blast to drive in sometimes.
I like to go out in my 4X4 in the middle of blizzards or ice storms but it is a beater so if anything happens oh well.

You don't need to be from Texas or Florida to get treated like **** either.
It happens whenever I go out of state, there are *******s everywhere.
Luckily there few and far between.

You'll be fine.

Just don't forget your Knitted Willy Warmer http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/snake-willy-warmer.html
We all wear them, like gloves & hats
haha i thought that link the first time you posted it was just fake. so i didnt bother. i so want one now!

but ill be driving to chicago. not that far in to it. ill try to travel when its less busy on the streets.
but my car will just sit for the week while im up there.
i just had to find out what all things i should do to my car to make sure it dont freeze up for when i leave. my wife says its about 40 degrees up there right now. but ill be going the first week of january. so i dont know if itll be balls cold there.

so let me check the list so far for my car.

-anti freeze fluids for the windows.
-check the tires.
-ummm gas lol
-bag of sand

and for me

-safe driving (check)
-willy warmer
-fooooooood!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
My advise take a taxi....
Gc you know how much that would cost! lol

like both my arms, my willy warmer and maybe your car
thats how much it would cost

yes i said yooooooour car! jk
Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM

Please be sure you do get your tires changed as that does affect your performance on the snow. You do NOT have to get snow tires. All season radials are just fine. HHRvey has just under 25,000 miles on him, and are still running on the original tires, Firestone Affinity. Next month will begin my 4th Winter with my HHR, and he handled the snow AND ice real well with the Firestones.
I dont drive crazy on the snow, and I agree with one suggestion that you do practice in an empty parking lot during the first snow to get the feel of it. That's what I did when I moved from South Florida to Indiana years ago.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 PM

The empty parking lot donuts are how must of us learned car control here.

The guys doing the drifting don't really impress us as this is what we started to do at 16 years of age.

The truth is RWD in the winter with no traction aids is really a blast with a limited slip dif. I spent the last 25 year steering with the back of the car as much as the front. Lord know it helped me also when I have auto crossed and driven other race cars at the track.

Just watch that no cops are around as often they will stop you to see what you are doing. The fact is if you have traction control and stability control your HHR will do very litte wrong. You can over cook the stability control but you have to be doing something pretty stupid.

Now FWD with no traction control is a pain. If the tires spin you lose the steering many times. Just don't spin the tires and FWD is point and shoot kind of steering.

As for putting a automatic in neutral and not holding Anti lock brakes?? Not sure how that works better. If it works for them fine but the fact is the HHR in gear will slow with engine braking. It is not much but the engine puts more drag on a car in gear than in neutral.

Anti skid brakes are ment to be pressed and held. The stopping distance is much shorter and evey your owners manual will tell you to press down and hold.

Now if you do not have anti locks just pump the pedal fast and it will help keep from locking the brakes. Locked brakes do not slow as well as if they are not locked up. So if you do have anti locks let them buzz and make noise as they are working at their peak.