General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
no officer i wasn't texting, or playing angry birds, we just have this thing on the forum where we take pics of our instrument clusters.....yes i'll come quietly, no need for the handcuffs.

winner...winner...chicken dinner
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Jealous

victweezy

I am so jealous. My brain knows it can do that too but my feeble old body rejects the idea.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Pistons looks normal to me, just clean 'em up.

I believe an HHR pickup would sell like hotcakes if built today.

Boydie

Originally Posted by victweezy
I'm back, long story... I'll post later if you really want to know....

Mocked up wood floors. Planning on finishing these on monday so I can put the GF to work staining, and clearing the wood and the metal runners. (yes, I have a piece to fill the middle, took it out to measure some stuff, and didn't put it back for the pic, D'oh)

Ran air through the spark plug holes and found 6 bent intake valves. Heading to the junkyard monday or tuesday to find a new head hopefully.

Frame for the bed is all welded in, and backwindow is mounted. Going to start cutting metal to fill the holes on the sides (New B pillar) and where there is a hole on the top.

Hopefully I can buff out these damaged pistons too...

Also on the "to do" list is finalize color selection so I can paint the Jambs.

Again, sorry I dropped off the face of the earth, and magicly resurfaced. I had some tramatic personnal things happen. I know it doesn't make it right, but I've been back in the garage for a few weeks now. You can be mad at me if you want, it's cool.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 AM

SS Fan

HAULNSS is cool.

Here is mine:

Boydie
Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Administrator

just a run out to get the family tree, I know it's early but when my mother in law sees a sale, it's on, man, take no prisoners just get the tree!!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 AM

Warning, might get a little long winded... You are warned.

Went to the Salvage Yard today to track down a cylinder head. Found one in the second row, third car down BINGO! A last gen of the Cavalier before the Cobalt came out, has an EGR on it, but the seal plate is still on it too, no biggy. Engine looked super clean, and the interior smelled like Jerry Curl Juice. I Checked the brake pedal to see how worn it was and get a feel for mileage. Not to bad, I'd say about 80K on it, but the block looked really clean, and had some new hoses, and hose clamps on it, so I took that as a good sign, and think it might have been a replaced engine plus Front struts were almost new (removed for the GFs car at 60 bucks for both), and the timing chain tensioner was the new kind, hinting that who ever owned this car at least spend a touch of money on it.

So I whip out my toolbox, and go to work. I'm a cheapo, so I don't own star sockets funk it, a 10mm has always worked for me in the past right? Wrong! On the first star head bolt I break a socket.... No big deal right, I have the deep socket 10mm that will work as a back up. So, all the big bolts come off easy with a 15, and a big impact extension on a ratchet. I get the two star head bolts off on the outside of the head, and now it's time for the two by the timing chain. Well some genius at chevy decided to hide the access plug for the upper timing chain guide bolt behind the engine mount on this cav..... The same fixed timing chain guide bolt that I broke off in the HHR head, but at least I can get to that one without pulling the engine mount in the HHR. This little bolt has cost me more time and money then I spent to get this car to begin with. Drills that fit in there, helacoils, replacement bolts, taps, all kinds of crap. So I break off the top of the fixed timing chain guide so I can get at this last star head, and WAM! my 10mm deep socket strips it. Have a few more tricks that's, cool man, Flip a 3/8th 6 inch extension around, beat it on to the star head with a hammer, and turn it out ... Nope... No joy.. So off to Hauto Zone, and 4.99 later I own some star sockets. I think I've managed nicely without a set for a long time. My other car is a Barbie Car Mercedes, and they use torx bits, and star sockets, and all kind of goofy stuff for everything, And these little buggers are the first time I've needed them. Needless to say, with the proper tool and a big hammer everything was gravy. But the bane of my exsistance persisted. The fixed timing guide was still screwed into the head, and was the only thing holding it on....I have to wedge a socket between the block and the head, and stick a screw driver on the fixed timing chain guide and smack it with a hammer.. It is finished.

I just finished pulling the cams out, installing spark plugs and pouring water on it about 20 minutes ago. We shall see, I have a feeling some minor lapping might be required, but all in all she looks rather nice. I might whip out the GL1 and be the first man ever to port and polish a 2.2 Ecotec and make a video tutorial just because it makes me happy.

On a side note, there are some beauty's here in the salvage. Some 70s Cadys that are just fanomaly gigantic, I found a Bal Air that is nothing but a body that the GF wants to pull out and make me restore on an s10 frame or some jazz, a van from the early 80s that has an awesome captain's chair that would make an awesome office chair. A grill from an old lincon that would look great on the HHR (once again ole girl talking not knowing the hours that would go into fitting it in there), and some late 90s cadys with the northstare engine in them all leather in good shape, just begging for me to get cheap and get running again... I loose my mind every time I go there. Normally calm, cool, collected... Scrap yard turns me into an 8 year old with ADHD....

Last edited by victweezy; 11-26-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Administrator

sat here looking out my front window, at the snow covering the HHR. Ahh well a rest day for me!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM

I had quit smoking 7 years ago a multi pack smoker, recently started again big mistake, was really feeling bad so I drove to the Hosp. ER and checked myself in, had Pneumonia, If I had not checked into the Hosp. I may not make my 82 birthday next Monday, lesson should not begun smoking again. Just glad I could drive my HHR to the Hospital. Hope everyone has a safe Holiday.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Deceased

Take care of yourself Jay, and we all hope you're feeling better soon.

Keep us updated, but get plenty of rest, and take your antibiotics like a good patient. We want you around for many years to come.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM

I understand nicotine addition Jay, and know it's nearly impossible to quit for life. I'm 67 and just picked up the habit again after years on the wagon.

I've managed to walk away from several addictions in my life and never look back, but not with cigarettes. It's just so damn easy to walk into a store and buy the most addictive substance on the planet.

Take care and be a good patient.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Administrator

not much today, snowed again and dumped on the HHR.

Take Care Jay, I kicked a 3 pack a day habit cold turkey way back on Dec 28th 1989, have not looked back and never will, the coffee and roses smell to good!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?