General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Deceased

10-4 on the hints, now she knows why I wear blue jeans when out in the woods etc. Shorts are nice in 100 degree weather, but not when you're tromping around in fields full of all sorts of things.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
Following my Tuner's advice I cleaned the MAF sensor and reset the ECU. Just came back from a test drive and my baby is back to normal thank God!!! Seems I ingested a lil H2O on the way back from NJ last Friday and between the brand new K&N filter and water injestion, the MAF sensor was not a happy camper. I have to thank Nick at BYT for his advice. I believe he's just saved me a few hundred in unnecessary spending. It was nice to drive my Hearse after several days of it sitting in the garage!!

Later
Allex
Here is a TSB about after market oil type air filters. Seems that the oil fouls the MAF.

Bulletin #04-07-30-013B addresses driveablilty issues in all GM cars and trucks. Some owners may install an aftermarket reusable air filter into their vehicle and then experience driveability issues, automatic transmission shift issues and/or an illuminated SES light.

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the following conditions may occur.

- Service Engine Soon (SES) light on

- Transmission shift conditions, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

- Engine driveability conditions, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

To verify the condition, compare the MAF GPS reading with the reading of a like vehicle that has an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions.

If a vehicle is encountered with these conditions, check for a reusable aftermarket over-oiled air filter. If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil before making any warranty repairs.

DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket reusable air filter.

TIP: The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.

TIP: Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

The other extreme is the UNDER-oiled air filter, which can also cause driveability concerns. The typical oiled aftermarket air filter requires cleaning and re-oiling at regular intervals to maintain optimum filtering. Failure to do so eventually allows fine debris to pass through the filter. A buildup of debris on the MAF sensor reduces the sensor's ability to correctly detect airflow, leading to driveability concerns.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
10-4 on the hints, now she knows why I wear blue jeans when out in the woods etc. Shorts are nice in 100 degree weather, but not when you're tromping around in fields full of all sorts of things.

There is also a special soap made for poison ivy contact. My wife used it a couple years ago when apparently her dog came in contact with the plant, in big MO. He carried the oils on his fur and she contracted it by petting the dog. Works really well, but I think the best results are when the soap is used just after noticeable contact. Can't remember the name but it's a cream type soap, which contains something like a mild abrasive. She bought it at WalMart upon the recommendation of their pharmacist. She used Benydryl ointment afterward....again upon the pharmacist's recommendation.

Good Luck....it's literally and physically a pain.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Went to 2 car shows today & meet a woman who claimed... she'd NEVER seen an HHR before ! her own kids told her there everywhere.....I just think she'd never seen a half panel ? or an HHR lookn' as good as mine does . ) lol

O placed in both shows by the way . )
Old 09-03-2011, 08:04 PM

Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

843- bummer about yer wifeys' introduction to poison ivy...

Originally Posted by Snoopy
There is also a special soap made for poison ivy contact. My wife used it a couple years ago when apparently her dog came in contact with the plant, in big MO. He carried the oils on his fur and she contracted it by petting the dog. Works really well, but I think the best results are when the soap is used just after noticeable contact. Can't remember the name but it's a cream type soap, which contains something like a mild abrasive. She bought it at WalMart upon the recommendation of their pharmacist. She used Benydryl ointment afterward....again upon the pharmacist's recommendation.

Good Luck....it's literally and physically a pain.
Perhaps it was: Fels Naptha Soap has been used for over 100 years

or: Burts Bees Poison Ivy Soap.

or: Poison Ivy Soap

or possibly : Dr. West's Poison Ivy Cleanser
Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks sleeper,

But it's not Fels Naphtha (which todays product is nothing like previous soap, does not contain ANY naphtha)...Not Bert's either.

All I remember is it came in a squeeze bottle that was packaged in a box.....maybe 4 inches high, 2 inches in diameter.

She left it in Indiana with the cousin we stay with. I'll see if he can find it and provide the name.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Deceased

Thanks for the tips and suggestions on the Poison Ivy, she's feeling much better now and I think that "The Itchy and Scratchy Show" has come to an end at last.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Just for future reference.....

The product I was referring to is called TECNU. The reference was sent to me by a member who doesn't have posting privileges yet.......But he can send PM's....how does that work....really strange rules!!!!!

Thanks, "GriffingR'"
Old 09-04-2011, 02:38 PM

I've used TECNU before...... It was okay, nothing to write home about. I think they had several poison ivy products available. (cleaner, lotion, "pre-exposure" plastic skin, etc)

Once you got it, not much works other than scratching though.....

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?