General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

why such a big price difference between countries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Here in the States we get kissed, up in Canada you just get *&$#^&
True, but our beer is better, so it all works out in the end
Old 01-13-2008, 11:07 PM

Well Im one of the suckers I guess.
Just bought an '08 in Canada, but of course they dont actually sell for that MSRP price. The salesman immediately knocked off $3000 on my first request for a price. Then I found out about the $1000 govt eco-auto rebate. I was also looking at a Vibe, which they wouldnt cut any kind of deal on. It was an easy choice for me.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by TomR00
It's probably some kind of tax thing, it's always a tax (money) thing. Those governments will suck you dry any way they can.

TomR
There are no taxes in the MSRP for a HHR. Taxes are imposed after MSRP. They consist of $100 for air conditioning, 0% import duty, 5% federal value added tax and a provincial sales tax except in Alberta and the Territories - but after MSRP. Price differences are in the 5K to 10K range or 20 to 40% - even Alaska has lower MSRP than Ontario.

The reason is that the manufacturers charge what they can get away with. Things are changing. Imports of new and used are already huge and growing as enterprising souls find ways of cashing in on the price gap. Hope to be one such entrepreneur myself this Spring.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Well Im one of the suckers I guess.
Just bought an '08 in Canada, but of course they dont actually sell for that MSRP price. The salesman immediately knocked off $3000 on my first request for a price. Then I found out about the $1000 govt eco-auto rebate. I was also looking at a Vibe, which they wouldnt cut any kind of deal on. It was an easy choice for me.
Interesting! What trim and options did you buy? Do you mind disclosing the price? If not you might want to private message me (by clicking on Marzipan to the left). Local dealer ignored my request for a quote.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:20 AM

I see you are in the Yukon, so it may be different for you.
Down here in southern Ontario, it is easier to work a deal now because of cross-border shopping. It has been public knowledge for a few months now that since the canadian dollar is close to par with US dollar, car prices are so much cheaper in the US. Many people have taken advantage of it by buying over the border.
Many local canadian dealers have been advertising "US pricing" equivalents in order to bring more people in, although they are still thousands more.
Im surprised the dealer didnt get back to with a good price, down here there are so many competing dealerships they scramble to contact customers.
I bought an LS, only options are auto trans, remote start, and roof rails. Sticker price was $22,845, got it for about $3000 less than that. I probably could have gotten a little lower with more haggling time or repeated visits, but my cavalier was totalled in an accident, needed a car quick. The HHR was only about $1000 more than I paid for the cavalier, so I did the deal and am quite happy with it.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Many local canadian dealers have been advertising "US pricing" equivalents in order to bring more people in, although they are still thousands more.
Im surprised the dealer didnt get back to with a good price, down here there are so many competing dealerships they scramble to contact customers.
I bought an LS, only options are auto trans, remote start, and roof rails. Sticker price was $22,845, got it for about $3000 less than that. I probably could have gotten a little lower with more haggling time or repeated visits.
So you got it for about 19,845, good as long as you are happy. Guess different areas will give better deals. I got a loaded (except for side airbags) 2LT(even had the 17" high Polished Alum Wheels) this weekend and with the discounts and gm card earnings, I got it for $19,444 OTD. I told them I would take it even before they were able to get another 1K off by doubling my gm earnings. With my trade, I paid them $7944.and drove a new car home What really counts is if you are happy with the deal and love the car. I thought if I told them I wasn't getting enough for my trade, and walked out, I may not fine another deal as good as what they gave me for the bottom line.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
True, but our beer is better, so it all works out in the end
My guess is that you haven't tried Sam Adams.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:16 PM

''"US pricing" equivalents''<<< WHAT a joke that is , huh Prod? The dealers advertise that but as you say, they still are thousands of dollars off. Otherwise there wouldnt be a a whole whack of canadians crossing the border coming back and bragging about saving 10-15 grand on a caddilac escalade or whatever they once wanted to buy but was grossly overpriced here in the first place. Hey YUKON, i think i read in the vancouver province newspaper that there are companies that charge a fee to go buy and pickup whatever vehicle you want from the states. Since you are so far north of the american border, it would probably save you a lot of money in travelling, fuel, lodging to go car hunting if you used such a service.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Here in the States we get kissed, up in Canada you just get *&$#^&
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
My guess is that you haven't tried Sam Adams.
I've heard great things about Sam Adams beer and want to try it, but haven't picked any up yet. All we can get here is the Boston Lager.