General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Window Tint Done

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by dnvachon
Other folks here said (if I'm not mistaken) they put 20% on the front windows and it's almost a perfect match for the rear windows.. I'm not positive but I think it says right on the back windows that they are 20% tinted... ??????? I put 5% on my back windows.. you can't see in them at all I like the "privacy" .. I have 20% to put on the front windows but I haven't done it yet cuz I'm cursed and get pulled over every time I tint the front winds.. it's illegal here in MI. to tint the fronts. Some folks never get pulled over but I do every time... I'm gonna try it anyway.
I can confirm that! For some odd reason i can't get very far with out my friendly neighborhood officer flashing me!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 AM

I work with people that have had there front windows tinted for years limo black.. you can't see in at all and they don't get pulled over EVER.. it's not fair. I think around here (the G.R. area) it's what type of car you have whether they pull you over or not .. I'm hoping an HHR is not "that type of car" ......
Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 AM

We had all the windows tinted at the dealers when we bought our HHR. I don't know what percent it is but it's the Max allowable for front windows in Arizona. We just did them all with it. You can't see much of anything in the back from outside that's for sure!
I was wondering if tinted windows are still illegal in California? I know they were back in the '80s cause I got a ticket back then about 2 miles away from the AZ State line on my way home. First time I'd ever heard about it.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Hey "D"...

Surprised you waited this long to have the tint done. I thought tinted windows in Arizona was like "sweat".....everyone does it.

Had mine done about 4 days after purchase. !5% all the way around with the exception of the rear "lift' window. For me, this provides a nice comfort level for our 105-115 degree days. Need to be real careful when leaving a parking space however, because you can miss approaching vehicles with just a casual glance.

Has anyone noticed the front windows are 70% light transmission, rear doors are 20% with the little "vent" windows at 21%?? Or is my car "unique"?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Has anyone noticed the front windows are 70% light transmission, rear doors are 20% with the little "vent" windows at 21%?? Or is my car "unique"?
The whole rear side window is 21% not just the vent parts. It has to do with various states tint laws I presume. It is illegal to have 20% or lower on the rear side windows here in NY and probably some other states I'm sure. There for it's not illegal at 21% or higher.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 PM

Snoop...
I noticed the little 1/4 windows (on the rear doors) listed as darker than the other glass! Not sure why though...?

For anyone interested... you can tell HOW MUCH LIGHT LIMITING (blocking factor) is built into your factory windows by looking at the 'writing' (each piece) on the glass- literally.

This is listed on different vehicles in different ways, however, with the HHR you'll see the driver and passenger (front) windows show's 70% (it's located by the door locks). That's the percent of light TRANSMISSION through the glass (to say this differently- 30% of the light is being blocked). The rear (dark tint) reads 20-21%, depending on which your looking at... and, again, that's light transmitted through the glass. Only letting 20% of the light through means the glass must be dark(er)... when compared to 70%. Comparitively speaking- "LIMO" tint is 5% (only lets 5% through)!!!
So- when matching tint darkness, it's a matter of knowing what you have to begin with. Another issue with tint is that some aftermarket films may have a blue'ish tint tone, as opposed to the stock 'smoke' look- which explains why some may notice a slight difference (in color) when looking through them...
Just a little FYI for those that are interested!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

CH......

That's funny because I just double checked....

Both frt. windows say 70% min. light transmission. Rear door windows says 20% light transmission, little vent windows say 21% light transmission and the rear lift window says 20% light transmission.

Unless, of course GM an a change mid-production.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

You're right. I thought the both were 21%. That is pretty odd and blows my theory out of the water.