GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM Ignition Recall Extended to All HHR's 2006-2011 UPDATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
nk_

It took 67 days for my part to arrive. I honestly didn't know if it would ever arrive.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I called for an appointment and was told a couple of weeks. Three days later they said the parts were in. They did the repair, but the new keys would not work in the door lock. The dealer said the door lock cylinder was worn. (?) I bought the HHR new and have used the key to open the door maybe 10 times, if that, in my eight years of ownership. The dealer had to order a new door lock cylinder ( $50+), then charge me $140+ to replace the door lock cylinder.

Lar the GM vin site indicates the repairs/keys for ign and doors are free as below.
Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the ignition cylinder and cut two ignition/door keys and relearn keys, if necessary for each vehicle free of charge. Please contact your local GM Certified Service Dealer to order parts or visit GM Ignition Recall Safety Information for additional information.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhr11
Lar the GM vin site indicates the repairs/keys for ign and doors are free as below.
Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the ignition cylinder and cut two ignition/door keys and relearn keys, if necessary for each vehicle free of charge. Please contact your local GM Certified Service Dealer to order parts or visit GM Ignition Recall Safety Information for additional information.
And the door lock cylinders are NOT part of the recall. Old Lar had the recall work done. The door lock cylinder is an additional part/cost he was talking about.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM

My car was repaired yesterday. Ignition cylinder and 2 ignition/door keys cut. Also provided reinforced bracket for the dash cubby. All good and no charge.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by manicrodder
My car was repaired yesterday. Ignition cylinder and 2 ignition/door keys cut. Also provided reinforced bracket for the dash cubby. All good and no charge.
I guess whoever got that reinforcer in the mail 4 years ago threw it away (it was a DIY by mail recall).
Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 PM

What was the ignition recall supposed to fix?

I have a 2011, and just got home from having the ignition cylinder replaced, and everything seems fine, except that I was curious and went to my driveway and tried to turn the ignition off with the car in drive. It was very easy to flip it to the accessory position. So I tried it again with the car in drive, foot off the brake, and rolling very slowly. Same thing, it would shut the engine off and flip to accessory.

Wasn't it supposed to make it harder to turn the cylinder off while the engine is running, when they replaced the cylinder? Maybe I just had a good one all along, so there is no difference, but just thought that I'd ask.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 PM

Just got my ignition switch fixed, now I can turn the key without jiggling it a lot. Had to make sure I parked with the wheels straight forward or the key almost wound't work. Not exactly sure what the recall was for but I heard that if you had the key on a heavy key ring, it would shut down some systems. Glad to have it fixed cause I kept losing the single key.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Deceased

Having tried out the "Recall Replacement Ignition" in a friends SS, it felt very much like my ones that haven't had the recall done yet. His key turns with maybe 5% more effort, by the sounds of the posts above, I think both of y'all might want to head back to your dealers. Something isn't right.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Administrator

I didn't think the SS's were involved in the ignition recall, but then again they might be, and X2 take they back to confirm these issues are not normal, I have had the recall done, and I can't turn the key from run to acc or off with out stepping on the brake and shifting into park! 2007 2.2 auto
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Oldblue. Yes, the SS is involved in the ignition recall. They are NOT part of the power steering motor recall.

Quick Reply: GM Ignition Recall Extended to All HHR's 2006-2011 UPDATED!!!