HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

09 SS Turbo out

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member

That's the RPD screen, not the DIC.
If you have the Reconfigurable Performance Display (RPD), then it can be set to monitor most of the stuff you've been doing with your Torque App.
AND you can use that RPD to get the fuel pressure reading that several said you should take a look at.

Set your RPD screen up like mine below so it will show fuel pressure.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 AM

Ok, RPD, that makes more sense. But if it's indicating that you are in a gear that you are not in, that is strange.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Ok, RPD, that makes more sense. But if it's indicating that you are in a gear that you are not in, that is strange.
Actually not strange based on the ownwers manual description of how it senses "what" gear it's in.
With ducky's SS not running good, who knows what the computer thinks it sees as far as gears.

From the 2010 owners manual:
SHIFT LIGHTS/GEAR INDICATION: The shift lights provide visual identification of engine speed for a transmission gear. Shift light minimum and maximum RPM settings can be viewed and configured in the SETUP screen. The gear indication on manual transmission vehicles is calculated by the engine control module. The gear is only displayed when enough torque is available to determine the selected forward gear.

That particular screen is a waste of space as far as the RPD. Heck, I know what gear I'm in and I sure wouldn't be looking at some tiny screen for confirmation any way.
THAT's where GM should have put an oil pressure gauge reading.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Thanks celblazer, I wasn't sure how to describe it.

Would that cause a low boost, because there isn't as much of a load?
That's what I would think. Clutch slipping, so lower load until it grabs fully.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:01 PM

I saw this on mine and wondered how this is useful to anyone that looks at it. As far as cam phasing.

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Old 05-24-2018, 12:34 PM

Actually not strange based on the ownwers manual description of how it senses "what" gear it's in.
With ducky's SS not running good, who knows what the computer thinks it sees as far as gears.

SHIFT LIGHTS/GEAR INDICATION: The shift lights provide visual identification of engine speed for a transmission gear. Shift light minimum and maximum RPM settings can be viewed and configured in the SETUP screen. The gear indication on manual transmission vehicles is calculated by the engine control module. The gear is only displayed when enough torque is available to determine the selected forward gear.

That particular screen is a waste of space as far as the RPD. Heck, I know what gear I'm in and I sure wouldn't be looking at some tiny screen for confirmation any way.
I don't know enough to need any of the other information it provides, like cam phaser angle, as mentioned above, so I just leave it on MPH. That's all. I will look at changing the settings and get some more information. I didn't know it could be changed, other than turning the knob and switching screens. Or changing the color...
Old 05-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Interesting info, The part in blue is not included in the 2009 manual.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:18 PM

OK, GMTU? Anybody thought about wires banging on A/C. Corroded crimps, etc.

I never saw it called a gear indicator, just a shift light for people that don't have any senses. As a close reading of the description says. It does not say what gear you are in, but what gear you should be in.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
OK, GMTU? Anybody thought about wires banging on A/C. Corroded crimps, etc.

I never saw it called a gear indicator, just a shift light for people that don't have any senses. As a close reading of the description says. It does not say what gear you are in, but what gear you should be in.
Yes, based on some torque readings apparently. All I'm saying is that the engine apparently loses enough that it thinks I've downshifted. I thought I had no turbo because it started out only doing it when I tried to accelerate quickly. Now it does it even when I accelerate normally.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:34 PM

My point is that the GNTU has a long history of bad installs. The sensor near the A/C is pointed in the wrong direction for the application and tends to bang on the A/C. The wiring harness was typically crimped into the old harness, after 10 years the crimps tend to fail.

Quick Reply: 09 SS Turbo out