HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Anyone have this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Question Anyone have this happen?

I just had the hotside, factory IC piping blow off- AT BOTH ENDS! I was on my way to work and went to pass another car. I floored it and the SS took off like usual, I pass (I got it up to 100ish or so honestly) and let off the gas. I go to speed up and keep up with traffic and nothing, No boost! I could hear the turbo spooling as I drove the rest of the way to work so I figured either the IC cracked or the stock piping broke somehow. I popped the hood when I got to the parking lot and from the looks of it, both ends of the intercooler piping came loose. It's completely off at the intercooler and maybe 1/8" from coming off at the turbo end! Funny thing is there was no CEL on the rest of the trip to work. I'm praying the SS starts up and I can drive it home OK since it looks like I'm doing some wrenching tonight. I've read on here about having holes blown in the factory hotside piping, but to have it completely blow off like that for no apparent reason? I'm pretty religious about checking the hotside IC piping connections and they were fine the last time I opened the hood and checked them (well visually at least) about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Ironic thing is this is why I put the stock piping on after trying a used set of HAHN's hotside pipes.

Later
Allex
Old 02-07-2011, 04:00 PM

I can see it happening in odd cases. The engine rocks more than many people think and it works the ends of the tubing. Even tight it may not be tight enough once the presure builds. There is a lot of force in pressure and motion that are working to pull them off.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks Hyper. I guess the lack of a CEL threw me off too. Well, that and no boost = no fun. I'll make sure to not only visually check them but test their tightness once I get these back on. I have the Hahn piping at home but don't feel like doing that project just yet.

Later
Allex
Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
Thanks Hyper. I guess the lack of a CEL threw me off too. Well, that and no boost = no fun. I'll make sure to not only visually check them but test their tightness once I get these back on. I have the Hahn piping at home but don't feel like doing that project just yet.

Later
Allex
When I blew the map out of the IC pipe. I drove it to the dealer and If I recall the light did not come on but I had Zero boost and learned how much the turbo contibutes.

The tech looked and saw the map just sitting on the pipe but was not connected. The Upgrades added pressure and a bad plastic weld just did not work well together.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 AM

I've had the HANN pipes for a few months now, and no issues. Two weeks ago, I got tires and some suspension work, and I had the dealer check to make sure I didn't F anything up putting the pipes on. They said no probs.

When I first put the pipes on, I popped the Hot-side off at about 110MPH! Sounded like a blow-out! Car nose dived, no CEL... no boost either though. I just went back and tightened the crap out of it.

Hey Alex, On the HANN pipes, is there a spot on the cold side that hasen't been welded all the way around? I think this is how HANN is keeping from popping pipes.

As for why it popped, too much pressure for the BCV(BPV) to get rid of between shifts. Alas, POP!

The other reason I think they popped is there is no tie down for the original IC pipe mount that comes off the head area. I used another coupler, and some shiney straps to minimize movement. I'll post pics later.

PS I ordered HANN's Turbo back Exhaust 2 weeks ago from Bill and Aubry directly. I paid a little more but, being able to talk to a real person was worth an extra $50.00. So I got the breathing on the front end taken care of, now to make her fart like a man. I'll post some pro audio on this install. (good buddy is a sound designer, were gonna use a good Super Card to see if we can't get an accurate sound out of the exhaust.)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Banned

I didnt read any responses but they just werent tightened down enough if they just blew off and seperated from the IC. You have the HAHN front mount correct?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
I've had the HANN pipes for a few months now, and no issues. Two weeks ago, I got tires and some suspension work, and I had the dealer check to make sure I didn't F anything up putting the pipes on. They said no probs.

When I first put the pipes on, I popped the Hot-side off at about 110MPH! Sounded like a blow-out! Car nose dived, no CEL... no boost either though. I just went back and tightened the crap out of it.

Hey Alex, On the HANN pipes, is there a spot on the cold side that hasen't been welded all the way around? I think this is how HANN is keeping from popping pipes.

As for why it popped, too much pressure for the BCV(BPV) to get rid of between shifts. Alas, POP!

The other reason I think they popped is there is no tie down for the original IC pipe mount that comes off the head area. I used another coupler, and some shiney straps to minimize movement. I'll post pics later.

PS I ordered HANN's Turbo back Exhaust 2 weeks ago from Bill and Aubry directly. I paid a little more but, being able to talk to a real person was worth an extra $50.00. So I got the breathing on the front end taken care of, now to make her fart like a man. I'll post some pro audio on this install. (good buddy is a sound designer, were gonna use a good Super Card to see if we can't get an accurate sound out of the exhaust.)
I'll re-check the Hahn cold-side pipe tonight when I get home since they're sitting in the den waiting for me to install them. I don't recall seeing a spot where a weld didn't go all around though. You'll love the exhaust foolmoon, it's pricey as hell but it's civil enough to go unnnoticed on a daily driver. I have a video of me doing a dyno pull and you can hear the exhaust note, granted I took the vid w/ my regular PnS camera. Do you have the DP already?

Originally Posted by bartSS
I didnt read any responses but they just werent tightened down enough if they just blew off and seperated from the IC. You have the HAHN front mount correct?
Yes Bart I have Hahn's FMIC. I love it, but the one thing I hate about it is I DON'T like how short the connector pipes are on the end tanks. Personally I think they'd be better if they were even 1" longer.

I reinstalled the pipes last night and tightened them down "quite a bit". Surprisingly, I seem to have been wrong in saying it came off at both ends. It looks like the turbo end was fine, but I don't recall it sitting so "high" off the turbo flange (like 2" from 'bottoming out')? I could swear that I had the tube pushed all the way down when I redid the piping last summer... Can anyone concur? I took pics but stupid me didn't download them off the camera (hey, it was 1:30 this morning!). Either way I took the pipe off and reinstalled/tightened both ends. Pardon the saying but I tightened the 5h!t out of both ends to the point I was almost afraid I'd break something. I babied it to work this morning (i.e. no romping on it and sped up cautiously to see if it held boost- held 15-17 psi fine. Checked the connectors as soon as I turned the car off and everything looks well. OH! I forgot to mention that as soon as I turned the SS on last night to go home, there was the wonderful CEL looking at me, good 'ol P01010. I'll clear it w/ the Areoforce and check these clamps F'in regularly now... Well until the Hahn pipes go on anyway.

Later
Allex
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Place a inconspicious mark on the tube where the hose ends after tightening....use this mark to monitor slippage...it could have been slowly moving on the tube until it ran ot of tube!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM

did you have the t-type hose clamps?