HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

LDK build

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM

Could this all be because of a bad PCV....we're starting to think yes.

Fixed the vacuum line going to the manifold, and still no boost.

Removed the PCV from the external housing from TTR, and it's bad. Blew into both ends, and air came out the other side both times. Even removed the PCV from the old manifold, which did the same thing.

So new game plan:
1) ditch the external PCV on the manifold side and replace with a one way check valve. Since I have port 2 (straight connection on passenger side of Valve Cover) and the manifold between cylinders 2 and 3 teed together, all that air is making its way back into the manifold with the faulty PCV. Replacing with a one way check valve should make sure air only comes out of the tap between cylinders 2 and 3, so the engine can relieve that excess crankcase pressure (someone recommended a bad PCV a few posts back too). This should alleviate the engine whine with the oil cap in.

Check for boost. If no boost and/or there's still engine whine, then we're moving onto...

2) Put another one way check valve coming off port 2 of the valve cover. Although RJ mentioned port 2 being pressurized to only go out, the check valve will make it definite that air only comes out - especially since it's teed together with the line out the manifold (see pic below). Now that both lines will have check valves, this should make sure all air is forced into the catch can, since it cannot go anywhere else.

Engine whine should be gone, so just check for boost again. If no boost, then...

3) Check every single darn vacuum and intercooler connection with soapy water since we don't have a boost leak test.

Check for boost one last time. If still no boost, then it's obvious what the next step needs to be.

4) Ditch the catch can and run lines as usual (port 2 -> turbo inlet | valve cover -> check valve -> valve cover)

If we're still not getting boost after that, then we have bigger issues and we will have to find a shop that specializes in turbo engines - especially ecotec.

Like the others say - it's all in the name of SCIENCE! I hope this thread becomes super useful for any and all who are looking to do similar builds to their HHRs.

Last edited by drummerboy0088; 06-15-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:56 PM

The PCV valve is NOT the cause of the problem. Both it and the new check valve(on the dirty side) are redundant. The other 2 check valves are already keeping air from entering the catch can from the clean side lines. If they are functioning correctly, there is no way, no way air is flowing backwards towards the PCV valve.

And both vapor draw points are from the same crankcase, so I say again, one will not flow to the other. And even if the whole catch can system was defective in any way, it would not affect your boost. Unless the manifold clean side check valve is bad(that would be a boost leak). Mine was functioning so poorly that oil vapor was blowing out the oil filler cap for ~2000 miles, boost was fine.

But you had boost, and now you don't. So something happened. The catch can system may (or may not) be the cause of the whine, but something else is killing the boost.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by drummerboy0088
Went to my first car show with the SS today, and got a check engine light on the way there. P2178. Scanned and it said "fuel trim system rich at cruise or accel - 1st bay". Now the car doesn't start right away, and turbo isn't boosting.

Gonna have to do some research and see how to fix
I forgot about this code. I wonder if the code is shutting off the boost?

Good old P2178 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

P0101 & P2178 = bad turbo?? - Cobalt SS Network

Here is the homemade boost leak tester again, in case you didn't bookmark http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-g...ss-lnf-223319/ Because if you're not generating boost(no positive pressure), I wouldn't think the running engine(atmospheric pressure only) would cause soap bubbles to form.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 06-16-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I forgot about this code. I wonder if the code is shutting off the boost?

Good old P2178 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

P0101 & P2178 = bad turbo?? - Cobalt SS Network

Here is the homemade boost leak tester again, in case you didn't bookmark http://http://www.cobaltss.net/forum...ss-lnf-223319/ Because if you're not generating boost(no positive pressure), I wouldn't think the running engine(atmospheric pressure only) would cause soap bubbles to form.

It very well could be RJ, the car could be in limp mode. I'm going to have to make the boost leak tester to listen for leaks, there's no other way around this.

I hope it's something simple like a v-band clamp not being tight enough if it is in fact a boost leak.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 AM

That link does not work for me.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
try this one donbrew - 2.0 LNF Engine Boost leak test a stock SS LNF. - Cobalt SS Network
Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Fixed it - I had the extra http in there
Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 PM

You would definitely know if the car was in limp mode. It's quite noticeable and barely moves. Limp mode is the common term for a DIC message; ENG PWR REDUCED. RPMs will not exceed 2000 RPM and really runs terribly.

I used pvc caps to test for leaks, just drilled one end and installed an old valve stem from a rim I had lying around.

I'm going to agree with RJ as well, the catch can isn't causing the lack of boost. I'd be leary of connecting the crankcase to the turbo inlet without a can in place. Even though that's what gm intended, I've seen what comes out!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:04 PM

I think we're talking about, not limp home mode, but when a code shuts the turbo down. Some codes do that, just turn your motor to normally aspirated. P0234 overboost is one code, just don't know if P2178 will do it also. Too rich off idle, probably will not, but ??
Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 PM

System rich would indicate less air than expected i.e.: boost going somewhere besides the TB or not enough boost.

Or, those new injectors too rich?

Quick Reply: LDK build