HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Is Manual Transmission a Good Option

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
So really, what ever we buy just plummets unless it's say a limited production car like the high end Corvette.

Newer model Corvettes plummet too. Been there, and done that. Pretty much the only cars that are valid as true invetments are restored muscle cars of the 70's on back, and then if you want the value to remain you have to treat them as a museum piece. Sit next to it in the garage, drink a beer, show it to friends. Maybe drive it once a month then put it back to bed. Don't forget to properly winterize it for off season storage in the colder states, and don't forget to setup the occasional bikini photo shoot with the local Hooters girls all over it

Back on topic, if the SS has an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in the automatic transaxle option, I'd not hesitate to opt for the auto.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
If the SS has an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in the automatic transaxle option, I'd not hesitate to opt for the auto.
Or (as I am) use the no LSD in the Auto Trans as an EXCUSE to buy a manual!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 PM

You can get an aftermarket LSD for the 4T45E, though:

http://www.engineered.net/eplsd.htm
Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 PM

235 Horsepower For The Automatic

235 hp for using the auto may help your decision.

"The HHR SS uses the same 260 horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged Ecotec four-cylinder found in the Pontiac Solstice GXP/Saturn Sky Red Line. The engine is mated to either a Saab-sourced five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission. Interestingly, automatic-equipped models have been de-tuned to 235 horsepower -- likely in an attempt help with torque-steer issues and/or reduce stress on the tranny."

BlueStreaker
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by bluestreaker
235 hp for using the auto may help your decision.

"The HHR SS uses the same 260 horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged Ecotec four-cylinder found in the Pontiac Solstice GXP/Saturn Sky Red Line. The engine is mated to either a Saab-sourced five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission. Interestingly, automatic-equipped models have been de-tuned to 235 horsepower -- likely in an attempt help with torque-steer issues and/or reduce stress on the tranny."

BlueStreaker
Since we know a tune can get the engine back to 260hp, I'm assuming that an aftermarket tuner could get the performance back. Of course, if the reason for the de-tune was because the tranny couldn't handle the extra power, that could be asking for trouble.

Personally, I'm torn, because if I get a manual, my wife will never drive it (arguably a good thing ) and I'm sure there will be times where she'll need to. OTOH, I hate leaving 25hp on the table. Decisions, decisions.

I currently have a Silverado SS, and am looking to trade it in for a HHR SS in the spring. 15mpg is killing me
Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 PM

You'll love the mileage, even from the SS.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by pestep
if I get a manual, my wife will never drive it (arguably a good thing )

don't tell her
Old 09-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by pestep
Since we know a tune can get the engine back to 260hp, I'm assuming that an aftermarket tuner could get the performance back. Of course, if the reason for the de-tune was because the tranny couldn't handle the extra power, that could be asking for trouble.

Personally, I'm torn, because if I get a manual, my wife will never drive it (arguably a good thing ) and I'm sure there will be times where she'll need to. OTOH, I hate leaving 25hp on the table. Decisions, decisions.

I currently have a Silverado SS, and am looking to trade it in for a HHR SS in the spring. 15mpg is killing me
25HP is such a hit to take just for not wanting to shift any more, as in my case. Unfortuantely if you tune the power back in, there goes the warranty. I'm sure the tranny would be the first to go, unless it could be beefed up somehow, I don't know if there are aftermarket automatic trannies even available for this vehicle. So I guess it's going to have to be the 5-spd for me when I hopefully can order one of these SS's within the coming year.

I currently drive an LS1 Z28 and I get around 15mpg too. I gotta get something that gets better mileage with some zip and style too... and the HHR SS fits the bill.