HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

optima battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM

This battery has given me very good service to date. I do a lot of jump starts,high electrical loads at idle it has never failed me.

With that said this battery was very expensive if you going to own one you should make sure you get a AMG comparable charger in case you ever leave you lights on and the battery go's dead. ( my bad )

When it is time to replace this battery I don't know that I will run right out and buy optima again. I will research what's out there and buy what fits my needs and budget the best.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
I only quoted part of your post, because there was nothing worth noting in the rest.

I just don't understand your reasoning. It doesn't make sense that you would especially not want a battery because it is sealed? You would rather have a non-sealed battery that can leak acid all over your vehicle and needs to be maintained? Your reasoning sounds like the exact opposite reasons why someone should buy a sealed battery.

You sound like someone that had one bad experience with something and now thinks everyone should avoid them just because of that. I've sworn by Optimas for around 10 years now, without any regret. I've owned over a half-dozen of them and the only thing I have to say, is that a red top is better than a yellow top if you don't drive your car often.
I've owned four of them. I had three bad experiences with three different Optima batteries; three different vehicles. And one other that I didn't have problems with. The ones that failed became problematic just after they were out of warranty. A warranty which is shorter than most premium batteries on the market. The OEM battery in the HHR we owned for over 7 years lasted the entire time we owned it. It has nothing to do with whether or not they are sealed. The vehicles I had them in did not require venting so that wasn't a consideration. I never said anyone should avoid them. I've heard many good stories about them. They just didn't work out for me.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Deceased

i have a yellow top and love it
fits perfectly
Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 AM

Here is the deal with Optima.

No they are not recommended for use in a HHR per the sales manager of Optima. I spoke to him through work on this topic.

The battery is not vented and they do not recommend them in non vented cases. They are going to offer a vent kit but at this point I am not sure when.

The Optima is sealed but the black ports on top are vents and they can open and reseal when pressure builds up. Kind of like a burp. The battery burps the gas into the interior or your car in the case of an HHR. It is not a common thing but it keep the pressure from building if it does.

Odds are you can get away with using one but the MFG will not recommend it because if anything does happen they want no liability.

I have used their batteries for years and we sell them at work. The biggest issue is people do not understand that if the voltage drops below I believe 9 volts the battery will not take a charge from a standard charger. You can get it to charge if you use a proper charger for a glass matt battery or use hook a second battery in parallel to stimulate the battery into taking a charge.

I would venture most of the batteries I have warrantied over the years 3/4 of them could have been saved with proper charging.

These are not like any other battery and take different procedures to use and maintain. Check out Optima's web site to see the things you need to do in charging.