HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Should I wait for Camaro V6???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:49 AM

sportscar or van
pen or pencil
a sportscar is just transportation, i have one. my hhr is a van and used appropriately
Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Guys don't under estimate the V6

We are talking the same Direct injection DOHC V6 as in the CTS Caddy.

It will have 304 HP will be as fast as the old Z and may be as fast or nearly as fast as the HHR SS.

When gas prices go up for a daily driver it will be the option many will go for. Gas will not stay under $2 forever.

So untill you have driven one or spoke to some that has don't pre judge it as you going to be suprised how good that package really is.

We are not getting the p;d 3800 or 2.8 type of V6 here.

I love V8's too but the new package is finally acceptable option.

The car is gonna way a tad less than 4000lbs.(Think Heavy GTO with alot less power) Don't get me wrong it will move along but I wouldn't consider the CTS impressive performance wise either.

What Z are you talking about? (The Camaro V6 will be a tad bit slower than the 350Z and a hell of a lot slower than the 98-02 Z28)
Old 12-12-2008, 12:20 PM

i have a ls1 z28 and don't get me wrong.
i actually preffer driving my hhr ss in most situations.
but my z28 puts my ss over it's knee like a red headed stepchild.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
The car is gonna way a tad less than 4000lbs.(Think Heavy GTO with alot less power) Don't get me wrong it will move along but I wouldn't consider the CTS impressive performance wise either.

What Z are you talking about? (The Camaro V6 will be a tad bit slower than the 350Z and a hell of a lot slower than the 98-02 Z28)
The V6 Weight is just over 3700 pounds. The CTS is a very good performing car if you have driven one of the new ones yet and is not even the top model.

The Z car I speak of is a 1995 that is owned by the person who also has the 95 and said it was great.

The V6 is not a race car but will be a very good and well balanced car that gives more performance that many on the street will ever use or need. It is a great choice as a daily driver, Affordable, Cheaper on Gas, Cheaper on Insurance.

The bottom line is the V6 Mustang with poor performance is what has kept the Mustang in production. GM is giving a very good quality V6 to us to do the same.

The 4th gen died due to not enough V8 sales and poor V6 sales. If they had sold better there would have been a replacment ready but with money tight even then there was little to motivate a return of the car when it did not meet crash standards.

If you want a V8 that is fine but that does not make the V6 any less of a car, In fact you had better hope it sells well as odds will be aginst a 6 th gen if the V6 car sell poorly. That is why GM spent so much time on the V6 this time.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:08 PM

it's very true that if the v6 sales take off for the camaro it will provide the anchor the camaro will need to stay alive.

also true that if the 4th gen f bodies had solid entry level(v6) sales it would more than likely still be around.

i think the new v6 is what the brand needs to be able to sustain itself.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:40 PM

The V6 Weight is just over 3700 pounds. The CTS is a very good performing car if you have driven one of the new ones yet and is not even the top model.

The Z car I speak of is a 1995 that is owned by the person who also has the 95 and said it was great.

The V6 is not a race car but will be a very good and well balanced car that gives more performance that many on the street will ever use or need. It is a great choice as a daily driver, Affordable, Cheaper on Gas, Cheaper on Insurance.

The bottom line is the V6 Mustang with poor performance is what has kept the Mustang in production. GM is giving a very good quality V6 to us to do the same.

The 4th gen died due to not enough V8 sales and poor V6 sales. If they had sold better there would have been a replacment ready but with money tight even then there was little to motivate a return of the car when it did not meet crash standards.

If you want a V8 that is fine but that does not make the V6 any less of a car, In fact you had better hope it sells well as odds will be aginst a 6 th gen if the V6 car sell poorly. That is why GM spent so much time on the V6 this time.
I have driven just about every car to roll off an assembly line in the past 6 years.

The 4th Gen F-Body was killed for way more reasons than poor sales. (safety standards, plant closure,etc...)

It was a great grass roots platform for a bargain the world may never see again. (I miss my 00 SS Camaro daily )

I will be very surprised if the Camaro comes in much less than 4000lbs with driver when it hits the street. (right now its purely speculation) I also think with the new EPA/Motor rating standards it will have the 305 HP and nothing more. Also GM's new tuning is no where near being as friendly to modifications like in the past.

Don't get me wrong it will be a nice car. Insurance on "all" pony cars will be bad no matter what motor/package.All I am saying is it's not a performance car and will be quite a ways off the V8 models. I will guess that it will run the 1/4 mile at around 14.4 @99 mph

Sadly I think they will sell O.K for the first year. (The SS's will sell hot and heavy like the current Mustang did back in 05 and then die off)

The v6 will struggle
Old 12-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
I have driven just about every car to roll off an assembly line in the past 6 years.

The 4th Gen F-Body was killed for way more reasons than poor sales. (safety standards, plant closure,etc...)

It was a great grass roots platform for a bargain the world may never see again. (I miss my 00 SS Camaro daily )

I will be very surprised if the Camaro comes in much less than 4000lbs with driver when it hits the street. (right now its purely speculation) I also think with the new EPA/Motor rating standards it will have the 305 HP and nothing more. Also GM's new tuning is no where near being as friendly to modifications like in the past.

Don't get me wrong it will be a nice car. Insurance on "all" pony cars will be bad no matter what motor/package.All I am saying is it's not a performance car and will be quite a ways off the V8 models. I will guess that it will run the 1/4 mile at around 14.4 @99 mph

Sadly I think they will sell O.K for the first year. (The SS's will sell hot and heavy like the current Mustang did back in 05 and then die off)

The v6 will struggle
I don't care what you have driven have you driven a 2010 Camaro or even spoken to someone who has?

I noted crash standards. Also the plant was torn down to void the contract and was old and out dated anyway.

The 3700 pound V6 and 3800 V8 manual and 3900 pound Auto weights have already been given months ago by GM. No speculation needed.

Here is what GM has released time wise and they expect a little improvment by release time.

GM North America Cheif Engineer Al Oppenheiser released some times and statistics on the 2010 Camaro SS and 2010 Camaro V6 as well.

The 2010 Camaro SS has a 0-60mph time of 4.6 Seconds and a Quarter Mile time of 13.3 @ 108mph with the automatic, and 13.4 @ 108 with the manual transmission.

The V6 Camaro is no slouch either, with its 3.6 liter powerplant, it manages 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds and a Quarter Mile time of 14.5 @ 97mph with the automatic, and 14.7 @ 97mph with the manual.

2010 Camaro SS: 13.4 @ 108mph (automatic)
2010 Camaro LS (V6): 14.5 @ 97mph (automatic)

Bottom line is for this car to live it needs to sell like the Mustang and 70-80% of sales need to be V6. If not the CAFE ratings will kill it before anything else.

The Zeta is going to only be around a few years anyway and for it to live on it will be a V6 and a Apha platform if GM can afford it.

The bottom line from the start Per Scott Settlemire [F Bodfather] from GM has made it clear the V6 car is what they want and need to sell. It has to be the volume car. That is why they have put that much work into it.

There is nothing wrong with the V8 but people need to be a little more open and wise to find the V6 is going to be one of the best cars on the market and a great value. THis car is not nore can it be compared to the past V6 cars. The V6 is the volume seller and will give most all they need in a daily driver.

The time is coming there will be no V8 and we will see a V6 Twin Turbo DI engine. Ford already has one ready.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:38 PM

I don't care what you have driven have you driven a 2010 Camaro or even spoken to someone who has?

I noted crash standards. Also the plant was torn down to void the contract and was old and out dated anyway.

The 3700 pound V6 and 3800 V8 manual and 3900 pound Auto weights have already been given months ago by GM. No speculation needed.

Here is what GM has released time wise and they expect a little improvment by release time.

GM North America Cheif Engineer Al Oppenheiser released some times and statistics on the 2010 Camaro SS and 2010 Camaro V6 as well.

The 2010 Camaro SS has a 0-60mph time of 4.6 Seconds and a Quarter Mile time of 13.3 @ 108mph with the automatic, and 13.4 @ 108 with the manual transmission.

The V6 Camaro is no slouch either, with its 3.6 liter powerplant, it manages 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds and a Quarter Mile time of 14.5 @ 97mph with the automatic, and 14.7 @ 97mph with the manual.

2010 Camaro SS: 13.4 @ 108mph (automatic)
2010 Camaro LS (V6): 14.5 @ 97mph (automatic)

Bottom line is for this car to live it needs to sell like the Mustang and 70-80% of sales need to be V6. If not the CAFE ratings will kill it before anything else.

The Zeta is going to only be around a few years anyway and for it to live on it will be a V6 and a Apha platform if GM can afford it.

The bottom line from the start Per Scott Settlemire [F Bodfather] from GM has made it clear the V6 car is what they want and need to sell. It has to be the volume car. That is why they have put that much work into it.

There is nothing wrong with the V8 but people need to be a little more open and wise to find the V6 is going to be one of the best cars on the market and a great value. THis car is not nore can it be compared to the past V6 cars. The V6 is the volume seller and will give most all they need in a daily driver.

The time is coming there will be no V8 and we will see a V6 Twin Turbo DI engine. Ford already has one ready.

You obviously have done your home work. Have you driven the car ?

I have driven a CTS and I have driven G8's. The Camaro is gonna be very close to both of these cars with minor tweaks/differences and sheet metal.

I used to own a 06 GTO and I am fully aware that the Camaro is nothing more than the update new platform(great platform). The Camaro could be the worlds best car and it will struggle to sell in large numbers. The reason for that is what 16- 25 year old wants a new V6 Camaro when they can buy an Accord,Camry,Mazda 6, Altima, Imprezza, Evo with a V6 or Turbo 4 that will put out the same or better performance numbers?

I hate to admit it but the name "Camaro" or "Mustang" dosen't mean alot to todays young buyers. The people it means alot to are people like me and you that have the $$$ and desire to afford a proper muscle car.

There is 10 cars I would own in the 25K price range over the v6 Camaro (The HHR SS is one of them)

If you think the F Body is going to be GM's saving grace your kidding yourself.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:02 PM

If you need access to rear seats on regular basis.....pick SS (5 spd). If you are in the car alone or with just one passenger most of the time....get the Camaro. I would get the base V8 myself, but if you get the V6, be sure to get the RS appearance package with wheels etc. Otherwise you will look like you rented it from Hertz
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM

I couldn't pack my camping gear in a camaro.

Just sayin...

Quick Reply: Should I wait for Camaro V6???