HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.
View Poll Results: Problems with clutch and or trans ?
No problems
90.24%
Clutch problems
2.44%
Trans problems
0%
Clutch and trans problems
7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

SS 5 speed problems ? (Chime in)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Programmer
I've posted a couple of times before, but to sum up, I also have the shifting clunk (and it's every shift, not just once in a while) and an unpleasant whirring/grinding noise whenever I'm decelerating in gear. The tranny shifts fine, but I really don't like the sounds. The decelerating noise, for example, is louder than the engine or exhaust.
I am experiencing exactly what you describe here, Programmer. Just got it back from the dealer today, and they tell me these sounds are normal. It still concerns me, because sometimes while decelerating, it sounds like a box of loose screws or washers rattling in the trans.

I'm OK with the dealer's reassurance (I have 98,000 miles to prove them wrong)... BUT... others posting here have no clunking or deceleration noises at all.

So what really IS normal?

EDIT: Oddly, I have noticed over the past several days that the noises are LOUDER when the ambient temperature is cooler. Above 80 degrees F, everything seems to quiet down a bit and shifts become smoother. My morning commute has been noisier (transmission-wise) than my return home every day since buying the SS--except for two days last week when the temps in the morning were already in the low 80s. I mentioned this to my dealer tech... his eyes just glazed over...

Apparently there are no TSBs available regarding this issue, so I am wondering if this is just "normal" until the engineers say otherwise?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 AM

No issues. 8000 miles exactly in as i coasted (ICE off) to my parking "spot" about a million miles from the entrance to my workplace.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:07 AM

I`ve had an issue with 1st and 2nd not being able to shift into these without lifting the reverse saftey switch, dealer had to order a whole new shift assembly and of course nobody has one so i have to wait, but the mechanic did a little ajusting and it seems to work fine for now, 1700 miles haven`t driven it to hard
Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM

The F35 trans tends to be a bit louder than most are use to (mine sounds like the gears are just banging around freely...mabe even having an orgy) but any ways drives smooth as butter.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM

I have posted a few times on this subject. My clutch clunks virtually every time I let out the clutch when shifting into 2 thru 5th gear. I have had it at the dealer, and of coarse, they say its typical of the car. I am just driving it right now and enjoying the car. It if it is not unusual for these cars to clunk a little, then I am OK with it. If I have issues with it down the road, I have some history complaining about it. G.B.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by msaner
You all know what happened to mine but I will go ahead and post it again. I was driving the car two days after buying it. I was shifting from 3rd to fourth and I heard a loud boom and the clutch pedal went all the way to the floor and stayed there. The clutch blew apart into a million pieces and cracked the transmission. Two weeks later everything was replaced including a new flywheel. All has been well for about 800 miles since. They had to pull a transmission off the assembly line in order to put mine back together.
That is what happened to mine, only I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd. w/ 7200 miles on the clock.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:33 PM

u know mine! clutch and throw out bearing waiting on dealer still to call back with the parts to fix her up
Old 08-08-2008, 09:03 PM

It turns out that the difference in noise level I experience in the morning vs. evening has nothing to do with temperature (thought that was a strange idea). It's simply the fact that first thing in the morning I am driving much slower and coasting more... the gears are only noisy when there is little to no torque being applied. When the gas pedal is down, the gears are smooth as butter! I just need to drive the SS harder.

The dealer insists that this is normal. I'm OK with that... it better not break!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 PM

Thumbs up

17,600 mi. now with no significant clutch/shifting issues. I still think it could be smoother or easier going into reverse... but if that is my only problem, I have no problem!