HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 PM

The temp out here varies so much over the course of the day if I stray too much from the 32psi, I have the TPMS warning at some point in the day.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Most people just drive their cars and never check pressures, oil levels of antifreeze. People today take for granted the lack attention cars take today. Just like flat tires how often do you get one today. Years ago it was not unusual to get several a year or even on one trip.
Not to sound sexist, but most women don't do anything but put gas in their tanks. And in NJ, they don't even have to pump their own.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 PM

You're Wrong

The tire pressure info on ALL HHRs which is located on the drivers side center pillar is the recommended MINIMUM, not maximum. Quit giving bad info. The sticker itself DOES NOT state MIN or MAX, but if you and others took the time to read the manual you'd know 35 is the MINIMUM. So realistically, 32 is probably safe enough, but let's at least get the facts right before we start giving out advice about important safety info.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Sorry

Originally Posted by Maven
Not being a dick.....just making a point. Many people believe the pressure on the sidewall is the recommended tire pressure. But thats the MAX pressure, so inflating to the at pressure just guarantees that you will be running your tires with pressures exceeding what they (and they vehicle) are intended to be run at.
I thought you were referring to the HHR vehicle tire specs, which are 35psi MIN. I should of read your post better, I must have mixed it up with someone who was talking about the vehicle specs. Yes, the tire specs are obviously MAX ratings. My 215/50R17s are all 51psi MAX.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by silverstreet
The tire pressure info on ALL HHRs which is located on the drivers side center pillar is the recommended MINIMUM, not maximum. Quit giving bad info. The sticker itself DOES NOT state MIN or MAX, but if you and others took the time to read the manual you'd know 35 is the MINIMUM. So realistically, 32 is probably safe enough, but let's at least get the facts right before we start giving out advice about important safety info.
Uhh. Sorry but got to call YOU wrong on this. This is a thread started about SS tires. My sticker in my SS says 32.Front and rear. Maybe you got your info from a pre 2008 owners manual(before SS's). In fact the 2010 HHR owners manual doesn't list pressures(ex.spare,60psi). It says to refer to the sticker on the car. Not to be mean, but saying 35 is giving false info.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

I run mine 30 cold, and they have a 32 hwy pressure. I have found that different tires need different pressure for the optimum ride, play with it a bit, you will find the right feeling.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 PM

Tire Pressures

I try to adjust my cold pressure to result in ~34psi when fully warmed up on the highway. I've found that this can be a little difficult 'cause I live in Texas and some winter days it's 30 degrees, then you blink your eyes and now it's 75 or 80 degrees. With the low profile (ie low volume) Pilots on a day like today that started @ 50degrees w/~32psi cold pressure, afternoon temps were 80degrees and the highway tire pressure was up to 37 - 38 psi. Oh well, in the summer it's a little easier. Every day is 100degrees!!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Racer-ray, it sounds like we live next door. I'm in El Paso.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Here's my $0.02 , set your tire pressure for your area and season, I run 32 PSI in summer and 35 psi in winter, works for my ride, gives me even tire tread wear, and ridess smooth and comfy my factory pilar sticker say 30 psi my side wall says 44 psi max and my manual says 35 psi. no change required that's just my 2 cents
Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 PM

The numbers on the doors are just base line recomendations since the average owner does not have enough sense to check the tire pressure anyways.

To know what tire presure to run can be based on several factors. Load and driving style. If you carry load or do a lot of hard cornering you may want to adjust your tire pressures to fit your needs.

More weight = more pressure. Also hard cornering you often may want to add a little pressure to prevent the tires from rolling under and feathering the edges.

Also you need to read the tread. If you have proper pressure you will see even wear. If you have too much the centers will wear and too little the outer edges will wear.

I read the tread on my and adjust based on wear this way I get even wear on the tires. Usually the pressure are some where in between 30-35 in most of my vehicles.

Quick Reply: SS tire pressures