HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

torque steer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM

torque steer

I test drove an 08 HHR a few months back and felt that it had a great deal of torque steer under acceleration, especially on the highway with noticable tire troughs. Today I test drove the SS because I read that the front end geometry had been improved on the SS and the torque steer was barely noticable. I found that it was more noticable with the stronger motor. I have other muscle cars that are all rear wheel drive so maybe I just need to get used to it, I wonder what you other drivers think about this cars handling under power. Does it affect the handling when cornering under power?
Tx JJ
Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 PM

The only time I notice it is when taking off from a stop and turning at the same time.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Having the LSD with my SS about the only time I notice any torque steer is going over the top of a rise. Gets a bit squirly then. Learned to just keep my foot in it and let the LSD take care of it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffryz
I test drove an 08 HHR a few months back and felt that it had a great deal of torque steer under acceleration, especially on the highway with noticable tire troughs. Today I test drove the SS because I read that the front end geometry had been improved on the SS and the torque steer was barely noticable. I found that it was more noticable with the stronger motor. I have other muscle cars that are all rear wheel drive so maybe I just need to get used to it, I wonder what you other drivers think about this cars handling under power. Does it affect the handling when cornering under power?
Tx JJ
What effects the handling under power while cornering is the FWD part. You have to learn different techniques when aggressively drivng a FWD car. Yes, there is a big difference from a RWD muscle car. The reduction of torque steer that they advertise is comparing the standard HHR with the SS. They have made BIG improvements, however, you cannot completely eliminate the fact that the steering tires are one in the same with the tires applying the power.
In other words, big, big improvements, but the SS is still a FWD car. However, in the hands of skilled drivers, the disadvantage is very small, or sometimes negated because the FWD is a good bit lighter car. Several years ago I had to take a high speed driving class in my Corvette, and although I would catch them in the straights, these little Neons and a couple of other FWD cars kicked my butt in the corners and overall.