The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

My girlfriend and her transport

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
Ohio state law requires the dealer/car lot to furnish a title within 30 days or they are in violation of the law. If they issued temporary tags without the title they violated the state law. If the dealer/car lot has failed to obtain the title from the finance company in order to provide it to your girlfriend, they have violated state law. Her next step should be to contact either the state Attorney General's office, or local law enforcement. Its a real mess, and she should really consider retaining a lawyer on her behalf. Many lawyers will do things like this on a pro bono or contingency basis. One last thing to consider is the local TV station since they all seem to have a consumer advocate on staff who can shake things up and generate a lot of bad publicity for somebody.
The best advise given.

Sounds like to me.....the vehicle didn't have a "clear" title to begin with,i.e., someone else, twice removed, had title to the car and maybe was consigned for sale.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Although having challenged credit can make things difficult that's no excuse for a dealer if they are licensed to put her out in a unlawful vehicle and take her money ! This needs to be addressed before the snow ball starts rolling. This is a bad situation that can only get worse if left alone. Unless you use the term girlfriend loosely I would go with her down to the dealer to see that you are dealing with and if the Attorney Generals office needs to know about their business practices. But do the leg work first you need to now the facts and documentation would be even better.I hope none of that will be necessary maybe them just knowing she has some backup will cause them to reconsider and be more helpful should you accept this mission remember the meek mild approach will always net more information use that stealth mode button.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Deceased

I don't think she's angling to trade the knackered Dakota on a new Lexus by any means, but she does have a mess on her hands. You're right Greybeard, she might just end up with the title, but both the car lot and finance company have violated Ohio statutes. I would see trading the current vehicle in against one of like condition and mileage as reasonable, but that vehicle would have to have a clear title and be able to be registered. The reason I've recommended legal counsel is that there are at least three serious violations being perpetrated here, and even if the car lot gives her another vehicle, the violations must be addressed.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

Come to find out, she has a lawyer through Wright State, but 843. She'd still like your friends help, if its possible.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Deceased

10-4 on that 1151, I'll contact you as soon as we hear from him.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM

First thing, she needs to get those plates that belong to another vehicle, off her car. She doesn't want to compound her problems with some kind of major DMV violations.

What is her standing on the paying of the vehicle loan? Is it supposedly paid off? What does the loan company say about it? If they agree the loan is paid off, they should be able to send your GF the title immediately. This may mean a personal visit to the loan company headquarters, or wherever they keep the title.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Yeah..... I don't have a clear sense if this vehicle is paid off yet or not, from the information given.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak
First thing, she needs to get those plates that belong to another vehicle, off her car. She doesn't want to compound her problems with some kind of major DMV violations.

What is her standing on the paying of the vehicle loan? Is it supposedly paid off? What does the loan company say about it? If they agree the loan is paid off, they should be able to send your GF the title immediately. This may mean a personal visit to the loan company headquarters, or wherever they keep the title.

X 2 on the Bad tags,
If it's not completely paid off, there will be no title sent till it's Paid In Full..
That is their security to get paid..
Old 01-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

The "loan" from the finance company is not paid off, however, according to her, the title was suppose to be turned over in the beginning as set out by the dealership.. She just wants to have a good running vehicle, and one that is plate-able. She knows she could screw herself over on the plates that belong to a wrecked vehicle, but she has no choice. if she doesn't work, she doesn't pay the loan, she doesn't get to keep the truck...She has paid approx. $1,000 on the loan which is like, $4,500 I think.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM

No title until it's paid off, that's where the problem lies......

Quick Reply: My girlfriend and her transport