The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Union employees on strike against Verizon

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
What the CEO of a company makes has no bearing on what other employees make.

CEO's salary do not have anything to do with employee salaries.
Two statements that are way off-base. There are three types of people when it comes to this stuff. There are the ones that know what's going on, the ones that are mis-informed, and the ones that have absolutely no information to base their opinion on. I think I know which one you are here

I am also a CWA member and we got a new contract in June. I work for one of the biggest corporations in the world and we just got screwed bigtime

Here is a short rundown of what happened with us. The company I work for has MUCH to do with our nation's security and they keep taking jobs away from US citizens and sending them to our nation's rivals (how do you feel about that?). Anyway, the company destroyed my healthcare, ruined our retirement benefits, and took the pension away eventhough the company hasn't put a dime into it since the mid-eighties. The employees fund it ourselves. Why did the company do that?

Because once the pensioners stop receiving benefits, where do you think that money from the pension (that is now worth over $40 BILLION) is going to go? You think maybe the CEOs?

Right now one of our retired CEOs gets an $800,000.00 kiss from it every MONTH!!!

The thing is, if the CEO keeps the employee salaries down by shipping work overseas, then there is more money for him. Pretty simple stuff right there
Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 PM

Corporate greed is out of control. Greed can be a very powerful motivator, but when it is at the cost of other's livelihood, it should be checked.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
Two statements that are way off-base. There are three types of people when it comes to this stuff. There are the ones that know what's going on, the ones that are mis-informed, and the ones that have absolutely no information to base their opinion on. I think I know which one you are here

I am also a CWA member and we got a new contract in June. I work for one of the biggest corporations in the world and we just got screwed bigtime

Here is a short rundown of what happened with us. The company I work for has MUCH to do with our nation's security and they keep taking jobs away from US citizens and sending them to our nation's rivals (how do you feel about that?). Anyway, the company destroyed my healthcare, ruined our retirement benefits, and took the pension away eventhough the company hasn't put a dime into it since the mid-eighties. The employees fund it ourselves. Why did the company do that?

Because once the pensioners stop receiving benefits, where do you think that money from the pension (that is now worth over $40 BILLION) is going to go? You think maybe the CEOs?

Right now one of our retired CEOs gets an $800,000.00 kiss from it every MONTH!!!

The thing is, if the CEO keeps the employee salaries down by shipping work overseas, then there is more money for him. Pretty simple stuff right there
If you are unhappy with your salary and benefits in your current job you can respond by finding employment elsewhere or by starting up your own company and make the $800,000 per month in retirement.

It is always easy to find others who have it better off than you. You can see that corporations will screw over the workers. I saw that during my working career. I saved and invested 40% of my income for my future, and when I retired took away control of my retirement from the corporation and invested individual IRAs. When you are unwilling to sacrifice on todays wants, for future needs, that is your chosen life and it is not some faceless corporation to make it up for your errors in judgement. You, not the government, not your employee are responsible for your lifestyle.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 AM

gag... my boss is non union for verizon aka Julie gets to work a **** ton of extra hours now on top of 50 hour work weeks until this is all settled and done.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Rest In Peace

911 Never Forget.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Father Azmodius.....you surely can find a better video to provide prospective of the union's demand. The one you provided is just plain trash that is generally called "rebel rousing" and displays insightful members, but hardly provides any direction and truth to their goals.

By the way, after viewing the video, my interest was raised to the TRUE issues, so I did a search. If you read the many honest reviews, you are able to appreciate this situation in a more realistic manner.

While I do support SOME of the union activities, at this point, I see nothing in this to continue that relationship. So, is it true......

The striking members are from a group/section/division of Verison that has continually lost money for the past several years?

Is it true, the members GENERALLY are paid more (and have better benefits) than other workers in the same or similar industry?

Can you confirm what the Company has offered.

If this is a separate group from Verizon Wireless, who is the President, etc. of that group and what is HIS/HER salary (I would raise h3ll if that person, much like the CEO of GM, continued to make millions in bonuses, while the company lost money).

Now I must say, I understand the Union's concern.....but they should be truthful in their ultimate objective, which is......to save the jobs of union member. It's obvious, I believe, that the member positions may be greatly reduced or eliminated because of the fields of activity, they are now employed in. Like many areas of this country, in essence, they are becoming obsolete.

Oh, and notice Verizon SOLD many of their wired operations to other companies like Frontier Com.

Also, the union vs. non union issue has been beat to death on this forum.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Also, the union vs. non union issue has been beat to death on this forum.
Yep. And I don't think one single post has ever changed what side of the fence a member is on.