Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Water pump or engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Ok, if you’re not comfortable turning wrenches, find a reputable repair shop, it’s not rocket science, just a matter of knowing what to do and how to do it.

Fairly simple really

http://www.ddmworks.com/assets/image...uild%20Kit.pdf
Old 02-18-2023, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
find a reputable repair shop
thanks for all the detail, it’s really helping to calm my nerves lol. I assumed that a Chevy dealership would be a reputable shop but I guess that was a misguided venture.

About to pick up the car and take it to a third shop that I got a recommendation from a friend, said he’s been going there for years and they’ve always treated him right so I’ll take my chances.

To be clear, I am comfortable with the work but I lack the tools or the workspace to accomplish the scope. Plus, for the age of the engine I’d rather someone with experience take the helm. Problem with finding a shop near me is that all of them advertise heavily on “tire change, fluid swap, smog test certified” so when I first looked it was basically calling blind.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:46 PM

You can contact the GM regional service guy.
$7K is more than a new crate engine. I don't know how a new water pump could cause any damage if installed correctly. The water pump does not create the system pressure, the 190F water does.
I have had success complaining to BBB. My local owner actually answered me in hours, with a check after the BBB complaint. Don't bother trying to get the Service Manager or General Manager to do anything.
I bet if you look on the interwebs like Craigslist or Nextdoor you will find several mechanics that work out of their home garage. There are at least 4 within 5 miles of me in a small city/large town.