Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Chopping the top today. Keep back seat or ditch it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM

chop it

Man, I'm watching this one close. This is the stuff I used to do. Would love to help. Older age gettin' in the way.

Don't go for the new door - work it out - torch messed it up, torch can fix it.

Just use lots of water - today's metal is way too thin for much heat.

Boydie
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie

Don't go for the new door - work it out - torch messed it up, torch can fix it.

Just use lots of water - today's metal is way too thin for much heat.

Boydie
This. Shrinkage is your friend here .
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM

Got the top off. Uploaded some pics to my gallery.

Stupid kitty got me all upset, so I skipped Rat City Ruckas, and Viva Las Vegas Car show, and just chopped away.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM

Back in the Garage today, Had some family stuff come up, so I've been neglecting my project.

If I make any progress worth posting, I'll send up some pics.

Still working on getting the back lift gate, and D pillars cut away from the top. Spent a bunch of time laying things out to make sure it goes together the way I want it to. Alright, back in the garage.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Deceased

Two words Vic, "Shrinking Hammers", they'll de-warp a panel nicely if you work slowly.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM

chop job

Looked at your pictures. Great. Are you going to tack the inside of the doors? Wouldn't hurt to tack every 3 inches.

Back in the day using acetylene we always had the water hose ready.
A blast of cold water may have popped it right back in place.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Boydie

Originally Posted by victweezy
The pic with the white one looks incredible! I was considering doing a removable hard top, but I'm a little scared about structural integrity. I already decided I need to put in a roll bar behind the front seats just for safety. I stripped out all the plastic panels in the back today, and uploaded some pics to the gallery. I was hoping to get further today but had to hit the golf course and lost about 4 hours. Hoping to get the glass out later tonight, but taking a break now to cruze this forum and look for pointers for getting the glass out in one piece.

It was a guy named bob I think. I found his pics by searching pick up conversion. His work came out real nice. I hear he was also planing on doing an extended crew cab style HHR pick up conversion, stretching the frame and everything.

Anyone need any of the plastic in the back, any of the electronic lift gate stuff or glass for the back? I also have the covers from spare tire, and other nick nack trinkets from the back.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM

So What's up with the truck, been waiting to see the progress. I'm sure a lot of people are waiting too. If you have some structure questions please feel free to get in contact with me. Good luck
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 AM

Managed to get out in the garage today. Lost a few hour though, had to take ole girl out for dinner. Lots of grinding out spot welds on the D pillar, and pulling off supports that are no longer necessary, and in the way for the re-attach, and roll bar. I managed to pound out the warpage in the door with a shrinking hammer as suggested (thanks!!!!). I did run into a bit of a hick-up. When cutting out the back window with guitar string, it shattered with about 6 inches worth of seal left to cut. I did manage to weld in the filler panel on the passenger side completely with out warping it. Should be able to wrap up the cutting tomorrow, and start welding if everything goes smooth.

Ole Girl just told me it was 10, and time to quit before the neighbors get upset about the compressor noise.

Few new pics in the gallery, didn't snap one of the filler completely welded in though...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...7/img_0243.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...7/img_0242.jpg

This forum hates my pictures for some odd reason. I can only get one to upload. I'll try again tomorrow, it seems real hit or miss. Got two more to upload, but not the rest... I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM

can anyone tell me how to make my pics big in the post? I copy and paste the "BB image code, but they are about the size of a quarter when they come up... I think it would be easier than posting all these links.

Got the D pillar off of the top. Took me some time, but it's apart, and ready to start constructing the back of the cab.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...7/img_0248.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...7/img_0252.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...7/img_0253.jpg

If it doesn't work, get a bigger hammer! Back window break out video, kind of not as cool as I has hoping for.

Since the forum is letting me upload pics right now, I sent up a few random pin striping goodies, and custom stuff in the gallery too just for giggles.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Remove those spot welds!!!!!

One of the easiest ways to separate some of those sheet metal is with a Blair Spot Weld Remover tool. You can find it at an auto body tool supply or online Order some extra center pins and 5/16 cutters. use a sharp center punch for the pin to ride in , be careful this tool goes where it wants to go. Tilt the arbor slightly to one side to start the cut and continue slowly. Wear leather gloves to protect your hands, been there cut there! Keep going you going to have a great little truck, more pics ok? Later,Enjoy