Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Headlight control

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 AM

Headlight control

I think I found what I was looking for. Wanting for a way to have complete control over headlights (without them resetting to auto after every start),
I noticed, while parked in front of a convenience store window, the running lights went off/on when the shifter is moved in/out of park (didn't actually know that).

Aha! I found you - the main control switch! I'm going to dig in under the console and see how a remote toggle will work out.

If anybody is interested, I should be reporting with the results in about a week. Unless, of course, it's already been done before.

A thought: would it be feasible to start an "Electric Section" or is that covered in another area?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Deceased

Some folks have played with having the handbrake pulled up one notch which has the same effect, but I can't and won't recommend it.

Lighting modifications have always been tucked into the "Mods-Exterior" sub-forum, and weeding them out for a seperate "Electrical" forum would take an inordinate amount of time considering the number of threads.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:13 AM

The E-brake. Hmmm. Another possibility.

But I completely agree. We should never, ever, mess with government mandates.
That would be bad. Very bad.

No problem, electrical goes in "mods-exterior". Thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 AM

Beware the switch for the shifter is not under the console. It's on the trans. It reports to the trans controller what gear range was selected. The trans controller talks to the other modules and tells the body controller it's in park and the body controller then controls the head lamps.

The system is called dataplexing and enables the engineers to control lot of things with fewer wires and switches.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by 11hhrlt
The E-brake. Hmmm. Another possibility.

But I completely agree. We should never, ever, mess with government mandates.
That would be bad. Very bad.
Not that so much, but in those rare occasions that the rear drum brakes are adjusted up properly on the average HHR, the first notch on the handbrake might cause the shoes to drag. Hence increasing fuel consumption and prematurely wearing out the rear brakes.

But unless you've begun to adopt the "manually adjust the rear brakes every oil change or every 5,000 miles stratagem", your rear brakes are no doubt just enough out of adjustment that the first notch wouldn't cause the shoes to drag excessively.

HHR "self-adjusters" are notorious for not self-adjusting very well, leading to premature front brake wear and overheating as the rear brakes slowly stop contributing to braking effort.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Technical Moderator

What is more irritating, DRLs or the brake light on the dash?

And, just what the heck is wrong with DRLs anyway?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Beware the switch for the shifter is not under the console. It's on the trans. It reports to the trans controller what gear range was selected. The trans controller talks to the other modules and tells the body controller it's in park and the body controller then controls the head lamps.

The system is called dataplexing and enables the engineers to control lot of things with fewer wires and switches.
Thanks Lucky, you may have saved me some time/aggravation. Looks like I'm going for the E-brake switch as 843 mentioned.

And I will be very deliberate in the process. Kinda figured "dataplexing" is how it all works (a change to one thing affects the other).
Old 03-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What is more irritating, DRLs or the brake light on the dash?

And, just what the heck is wrong with DRLs anyway?
Here's the thing, Don:

1. I'm not all that aware of the need for DRL's, consciously anyway. In fog, ok. Otherwise, no.
2. I've heard of the "easy" method for changing headlamps on HHR's. To me,
no sense in unnecessary wear and tear. I think cutting into headlight control could be a simple mod that will pay in the long run.
3. Tinkering is in my DNA.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Statistics say: "DRLs save lives". The data is out there just look for it, then you will be aware.

They will be mandatory in the US soon. Then you can really be upset and rebellious. "Don't Tread on ME"
Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM

So glad the 06 DRL's are the front parking lights.

Quick Reply: Headlight control