Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

HHR - Buick Bijou Super Progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 PM

These are all great images of great concepts! I really appreciate all of the uploads and welcome any images for inspiration. I haven't seen the last two so I think its really cool!

And yes Mike is correct, I don't want to keep showing minuscule changes to the roof rails. Which is what I've been fine tuning here and there. The update pics wouldn't really reflect the changes made all that much.

But in the end, I would really love it if people looked at my little Buick project and wondered if they were looking at a genuine concept that came out of the design center in Warren Michigan. Whether or not I can produce something that convincing remains to be seen...but I sure hope so. :)
Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 PM

Do you plan on doing anything with the headlights to give them a unique look as well or are you sticking with the HHR ones ?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
The last I heard from Ben, he's making more progress with his build, but I think he's waiting to post up some pics that show the more dramatic changes...instead of giving us a piecemeal pic here and there.

By finding pics of some cool Buick cars from the era that Ben is trying to emulate, I'm just trying to show him some cars he might get some ideas from, and I'm sure that goes for Boydie too.
I was only trying to be funny with the hijack line, I love the pics, so hopefully u don't think I was trying to be a ass.. I should have added JK to it ..
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM

No worries Radco, I am sure none were offended. The danger of communicating through typed words is that no one can hear the tone of voice.. LoL

Kingcorrupter, I do have some ideas that I am tossing around in my cobweb infested gray matter, but I haven't locked anything in yet. But the lights are the eyes of the vehicle, so I feel like giving them a different look is crucial to having the Buick not look like a badge engineering project. I am leaning toward an L.E.D. eyebrow that sweeps across the top and curves down to the bumper, breaks, then continues down below the bumper and sweeps across to just below the bullets. I would wire them into the DRL's as the L.E.D's draw such an insignificant amount of current, I don't think it would hurt.

If time and money permits this Sunday, I will temporarily place them on my ride and upload some images to show you guys what I mean. Of course any ideas or opinions that you guys want to share are appreciated. So please tell me what you think.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Deceased

Heck Radco, we're good, always have been.

Eagerly awaiting the next update Ben, trying to visualize the LED's but I think you're on to something there. As far as how much they'll draw, a rule of thumb is 20ma per LED, so you'd have no problems with the electrical demand unless you're running a ton of 'em.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM

Define a ton Mike :)
As it relates to L.E.D's
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Deceased

Over 100, in my book that's a ton of LED's.

But then I'm thinking standard 5mm units, not 3mm or 1.8mm.

Are you thinking about commercially available LED strips, or individual units?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 PM

I was definitely thinking the commercially available L.E.D. Strips. Is there an advantage to the individual units? I was wanting to open the head lights to route them internally and adjusting the body work under the bumper to make the lower ones have an intentional factory look. Sort of an air intake in the bumper front of the side marker light that extends downward to the same level as the bottom of the bullets.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Deceased

The only advantage to individual LED elements in my mind would be the ability to make your own spacing decisions, the drawback would be the "fun" task of wiring them together.

Of course with the commercially available strips, you can black out or remove some LED's to create a different spacing/look.

What color are you thinking of using Ben, a modern high intensity bluish white, or something more retro like an amber?

Phew! Got that typed before our internet dropped out again, been giving me a headache day.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Take Aleve, works good Mike. You want to find some high quality ones like Audi uses. I had some of them strips, fail.....

was thinking of these on either side of my fogs on the SS bumper, but these are way heavier duty.http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-W2...bw20407-es.htm

I'm really digging your HHR....

Quick Reply: HHR - Buick Bijou Super Progress