Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

07 LS 2.2 no steering wheel lock, no crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:17 PM

07 LS 2.2 no steering wheel lock, no crank

I looked through older posts with similar issues, but all those posts included some sort of mod or actual issue prior to no starting.my hhr is pretty stock and was driven just last night with no issue.

Battery is 6 months old, has plenty of juice. 12.7
Steering wheel is not locked
Key goes in/out with no issue
All fuses and relays under hood are good/tight
Shifter releases and cycles gears
Key turns, but no crank.
No crank in neutral position
All power accessories work

After messing with it for about an hour, I'm out of ideas.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Technical Moderator

The first obvious question is: has the recall been done? Click here to check

Do you mean the steering wheel is not locked when it should be?

List of thing to check:

Large red wire connection on the side of the underhood fuse box; is it tight, 12V
The other end of the red wire at the starter: 12V?
Fuse #5 underhood fuse box
relay #34 underhood fuse box
Ground connection on top front of transmission and the driver side radiator support
the neutral sensor switch on top of the transmission output of Pin #12 should be ground when trans in neutral/park

Last edited by donbrew; 11-10-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Second question you do not say you checked the other Fuse Box inside on the center console passenger side.
I assume you tried starting in Park first.
SF
Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Donbrew - thank you for answering - i've seen your write ups and they are so helpful

Recall doesn't cover my VIN, one of the first things i checked when i bought Lilly. There was 12v at the post, the fuses were good. Top ground was good. I was sick as hell, so I didnt climb under it and just let my wife take it up to the shop. Been using them for years and I trust them. Ended up being the starter relay, cheap part and they took care of it quick.

Silverfox~ thanks for mentioning that :) I didnt even think about the "other" fuse panel...duh duh duh!
You are also very knowledgeable and thank you for answering as well.

As for the steering lock, I had never noticed that it didn't lock before, i thought that was supposed to happen. The shop is telling me that a lot of newer chevy's dont lock, so I guess that was my fault for not noticing. Seen several discussions on here about the wheel not locking. Shoulda known. Just like an assumption to make an ass out me :)

AGAIN, THANK YOU!! this forum is every bit as good as AstroSafari.net, my old home when the Oscar the Astro ruled the driveway

Last edited by RAIDHHR; 11-13-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Technical Moderator

The ignition recall covers all VINs. If you checked the recall status and it returned "none" that means it was done.
ignition recall check recall status

The steering wheel is supposed to lock when the key is removed. Your shop is horrendously misinformed, it's a federal law.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:24 PM

Well damn, i've always had such good service with this shop. Old school actual mechanics who know a thing or 5.

I had no idea the "not found" meant it was done, glad to know it has been "fixed", such as it is

So since my wheel isnt locking, what are my next things to check for the lock actuator malfunction?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Technical Moderator

I think it is a mechanical thing, like a pawl and gear. I have never delved into it. I think it is due to technician error when they did the recall; which is the reason I asked about it.

The mechanism itself holds the ignition tumbler and is wrapped around the shaft and semi permanently attached. I don't know anything about the inner workings of it.

The locking column thing is a anti-theft thing introduced in the late 60's-early 70's when ignition switches moved from the dashboard to the column.

You might experiment by removing the key then turning the wheel quarter to half turn and back; see if it locks. It is designed so that the thief can't drive the car, not to keep him from turning the wheel.