Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Chevyland Shreveport, LA - HORROR DAY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM

Chevyland Shreveport, LA - HORROR DAY!

As I mentioned on another thread, I recently noticed a humming noise in my HHR that seemed to be coming from the left side, that got louder and higher pitched with increasing speed, and was not affected by whether the car was in gear or whether the brakes were applied. I thought it was a bad wheel bearing. Firestone thought it was the left rear hub bearing. I realized it was still under the powertrain warranty, and called Chevyland in Shreveport, LA to get an appointment. I asked them to order the part since they didn't have it in stock.

1. I brought the HHR in at the appointed time this morning. The first person in the service line hadn't heard of me, but found the service writer who had made the appointment. I was able to drop the car off after about 15 minutes. I then asked for a ride home, and was informed that that would be fine - when the van driver got back in 45 minutes! When the van returned, others were waiting as well. I was informed that I would have to get in the far back of the van since I would be the last to be let off. The minivan was designed such that I had to climb over the base of the rear seat, whose seatback we eventually figured out how to lower. I was carrying bags, and started to drop stuff as I was going over the obstacle course. I gave up and told them I would call a taxi. I almost lost an item that had rolled under the seat! At that point, they magically found someone else who could immediately give me a ride, but by then I had found a friend who was unexpectedly available, and she brought me home.

2. The part arrived at 3 PM. I wanted to go to a bicycle "spin class" at about 6, and the service writer said they would get it installed in time. I was called at 4:50 and told it was done. I picked up the car, and the service writer apologized for the morning's problem. I drove the car out, only to STILL HEAR THE NOISE which I had first noticed as the problem. Presumably, the left rear hub really did need to be replaced (both Firestone and Chevyland diagnosed it as bad). However, the "presenting complaint" (to use a medical term) was never addressed.

3. The good news is that Chevyland will program key fobs FREE at the dropoff area. The service writers have a Tech 2 machine. I had a key fob that didn't work for some reason. When I picked up the car, I brought in all three keys and remotes, and the service writer made sure that all three remotes worked. I drove home to change clothes and load my bicycle to go to spin class. When I went back outside, my car wouldn't start. I thought it had a dead battery (even though this seemed unlikely at 65 degrees with a car that had just been driven) and tried to jump start without success. I then noticed the key symbol flashing on the dashboard, and diagnosed the problem. THE SERVICE WRITER HAD UNPROGRAMMED ONE OF MY METAL KEYS!!!!! Being a veteran of this forum, I realized that all I had to do was start the car with a key that did work and then immediately repeat with all the others, and that fixed it. Unfortunately, by the time I figured it out, it was too late for me to go to class.

I have never had a dealership screw up THREE DIFFERENT WAYS on a single visit before, but CHEVYLAND managed to do it! Needless to say, I will take the car elsewhere in the future. Chevyland staff seemed very concerned about what I would say if I got a random satisfaction survey. I want to remove that random factor. Who can I contact at Chevrolet to let them know about the dismal service I received today?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 PM

Here's a Chevy site where you can monitor the maintenance of your vehicle. Get yourself added, then follow this link for the phone numbers and get someone on the phone.

http://gmownercenter.yahoo.com/portal/help.php

This site has gone through some changes, but the process is all the same. I used it when I had lifter tap in my 5.3l 1500, and my issue was taken care of. It's good that you posted about your issue on the board to give the others heads-up JIC it happens to them, but no one on the board, that I know of will be able to take care of your issue like it should be.

Lisa
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM

If ever the need arises, that you get fed up, and want to flame the dealerships rear end, really good, just fill out that survey[they send you], and talk bad about theier Mama.
I filled out a really bad one on a local dealership, and I mean the fur started to fly. Got a nasy call from the dealership, then a few from GM customer satifaction, and also the local rep.
They tend to take those surveys very serious nowdays. "Moon"
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

"However, the "presenting complaint" (to use a medical term) was never addressed".

Well, sounds like a place to avoid. Too bad you still have the original symptoms, after all that.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Frustrating perhaps, but "Horror Day"?

The courtesy vans are just that, not a limo service. And if using one in the early morning one can expect they will be a bit crowded. Some of our dealerships here will offer a courtesy car for the day, expecially if it is warranty work.

Did they replace the left rear wheel bearing that they ordered a replacement for you? If they did and the noise is still there, then either the new bearing is defective, or the noise is from something other than that LR bearing, and one can't fault the dealership over that. It might have been best to let them do the diagnosis - but then that typically means a separate visit to the dealership for that.

It's too bad about the key losing it's programming - good thing you picked up on the solution (I don't think I would have twigged onto it without searching for the solution here).

So, I'd call it a frustrating day - and wrap it up to experience.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM

They are still awful

I recently got both a "snail mail" and separate email each offering me one free oil change at the above-criticized Chevyland. So, I contacted the better local dealer, Red River Chevrolet. They said they couldn't promise, but probably would accept the mailed coupon. When I arrived, Red River said they couldn't accept it, and offered me their $30 oil change with a $10 rebate. No harm, no foul - they hadn't promised anything. So, I called Chevyland from Red River's parking lot and asked if this would be a good time to get an oil change. They said sure, bring it in.

When I arrived at Chevyland, the service writer said, "of course, you know it will be a 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait." With the abysmal service I had gotten in the past, I presumed this really meant 2 hours or more and I had plans for later in the day. So, I said I wasn't interested. Then, they asked to KEEP THE MAILER WITH THE OFFER. I gave it to them as I had no use for it. It had the last part of my VIN, my name and address, and codes to use when getting reimbursed through Cheverolet's warranty program. Then I thought about it. Why would they ask for that? ARE THEY PLANNING TO BILL CHEVROLET FOR THE OIL CHANGE despite their not actually doing it? ARE THEY WILLING TO DEFRAUD CHEVROLET? Unfortunately, I think they are, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about it, other than mention it here.

Doctuh