Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

CV Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM

CV Replacement

(Yes, I attempted to search first....)

Has anyone replaced their CVs yet? I am comtemplating changing mine out while I have the front end apart (doing hubs, tie rods, etc...)

But don't you lose fluid when you pop them out of the transmission? Since our HHRs don't have a fill tube, how do you top the fluid level back off????

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Deceased

I'd leave them be unless you have leaking boots or obvious signs of failure.

If you do decide to do them, go with re-manufactured or aftermarket half
shafts, they are much easier to deal with.

Its possible to lose a bit of fluid from the diff, but the bigger concern is damaging the axle seals with the ends of the shafts....then you'll have a leak.

GM does make "tools"(really more like plastic sleeves to protect the seals on re-installation), but if you're super careful....the job can be done without them.

So based on my experience, if the boots are good with no signs of leakage and the outer joints are not noisy, let 'em be.

As to replacing any fluid lost, you have to use the transmission fill plug, try a search for "Transmission".....and you'll find threads on changing the fluid with the location of the fill plugs(5-speed and Automatic).
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM

I have done them twice. Don't worry about loosing ATF, just a drop or 2 if you are not over filled. Don't worry about the spline tool, you DO NOT need it, you do not even have to be overly careful. The big problem you will encounter is the stub shaft that lives on the passenger side axle, you SHOULD get a special tool to remove it (bearing separator), Do Not try to force it off with hammers and chisels etc. the plastic bit inside will break. You do not even want to know how much the part costs and how long it will take to get.

Go with rebuilt they are about $80 each from the Zone, cheaper online. The new ones don't cost more, but the may not be exactly correct (my first ones caused problems).

Be sure that the number of pleats on the replacement boots are the same as the old ones, 5 I think. Less will fail quickly.