Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fusebox and power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Wink Fusebox and power steering issue

I started my 2006 HHR LT today and the power steering indication was displayed on the dash and there was no power assist. Everything else was functioning as normal. I took it a buddy who found that at the terminal bolt closest to the windshield on the left side of the fuse box, the connecting linkage directly under the flange nut that takes the power into the fuse box had snapped away. I could not get the flange nut off of the bolt and in the process of tussling with the nut, I managed to snap the feed wire clean off of the connecting ring and I had to crimp a new one on. I'm guessing that a quick fix will be to solder a link between the terminal bolt and the connection that feeds into the fuse box. I am pretty sure that I will have to replace the whole fuse/relay box to do the job properly. It doesn't look that difficult. Has anybody done this and what will the whole fuse box assembly cost to replace? Also, is the terminal closest to the windshield only for the power steering - because that was the only thing that was affected?

I am confident that a wrench monkey at the main dealer over torqued the nut and did the damage - but have no proof !

Thanks wonderful people and I hope I am making sense here !!

Last edited by uglyjim; 07-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 AM
jx3

Similar occurrence happened w/ my 06. Shop that fixed some body damage after being backed into did something to the fuse box that caused them to jury rig the connection at the terminal. Wasn't found until 3 years after the fact when having it at the dealer for CEL and tranny warning lights. After tech made the repairs according to the codes thrown, the HHR had thrown quite a few more codes, which is when the tech went investigating and found the fuse block in said condition.

Originally Posted by uglyjim
Has anybody done this and what will the whole fuse box assembly cost to replace?
The dealer quoted me a price in the range of $500 - $600.

Since the body shop couldn't get the HHR started, they towed the car to the dealer and of course didn't let on to what they had did. So after it was found 3 years later, the dealer who didn't spot it at the time split the cost w/ me 50-50.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:48 PM

thanks for the reply ! I got the problem solved. I had a minor accident a month or so ago and the dealer said they can replace the whole fuse box and bill it to the insurance company ! You right about the price - $360 + labor !! Scary. It was attributed to impact damage. I was expecting to argue, but it was " we can take care of that ! " and that was it.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Deceased

" we can take care of that ! "

The six most beautiful words in the English language when you have a problem that needs fixing, glad things worked out so well for you.