Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Which heater hose is the inlet hose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM

? am I wrong thinking 195*
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by oneton
? am I wrong thinking 195*
180° is the OEM thermostat temp...at least is it for a 2006 2.4...
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Deceased

For the OP's 2007 LS with the L-61 2.2 you need a GM PN#12622410 (AC Delco #131-158), opening temperature 180°.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
For the OP's 2007 LS with the L-61 2.2 you need a GM PN#12622410 (AC Delco #131-158), opening temperature 180°.
If I'm not mistaken, all HHR's use the same thermostat regardless of year or engine. That's the same on used in most, if not all Ecotec powered vehicles from about 2001 until now.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:01 PM

Correct hose for installing flush tee

Originally Posted by voigtsga
I'm trying to install one of those flush and fill kits into the heater inlet hose, but I'm a bit fuzzy as to which one is the inlet. There of course are two heater hoses side by side that come out of the firewall. One hose connects from the firewall to the rear of the engine (which is towards the passenger side-right of car), and the other hose is on the driver's side (left) which connects to the thermostat housing. I am thinking that the hose on the rightmost (passenger) side that goes from the engine block to the firewall should be the inlet heater hose, correct?
Originally Posted by donbrew
I just looked at my service manual, it does not want to be helpful, the sketches are real sketchy. GMpartsdirect does not show the hoses. I give up. But, wait... NalleyGMC.com shows the inlet as the one on the bottom at the firewall, the one with extra insulation.

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread ...

I, too, am about to flush my cooling system (have done this with all my vehicles over many years). My concern is that it appears that my LS 2.2's cooling system works in reverse of the cooling systems that I'm accustomed to and that are pictured on the Prestone Flush 'n Fill Kit's instructions. The instructions say to install the tee in the "heater inlet hose" and shows a typical, old-style V-8 or Inline-6 engine with the thermostat housing at the end of the top radiator hose, connecting to the intake manifold. So the thermostat on those engines controls the flow of heated coolant OUT of the engine, into the top of the radiator. Flushing through the heater inlet hose, therefore, allows a back-flushing through the heater core, out the heater outlet hose, through the water pump, through the bottom radiator hose, and up through the radiator (as well as down through the engine, via the heater bypass south of the thermostat housing, and out through the water pump, up through the radiator).

The 2.2's thermostat apparently controls the flow of cooled coolant INTO the engine via the bottom radiator hose. So it appears that, unless the engine reaches ~180 degrees to open the thermostat during the flush, I won't get a backflow up through the radiator, regardless of which heater hose I use to install the flush tee, since it appears the heater outlet hose connects to the thermostat bay on the engine side of the thermostat. In other words, regardless of which heater hose I use to install the flush tee, it appears that my flushing will for the most part just reach the heater core and the engine, flowing out through the fill cap in the top radiator hose, with some unpressurized flow down through the radiator via gravity.

Can anyone confirm this and give any input regarding my attempt at an effective flush? I have considered starting with a fully warmed engine to get at least a little back-flushing action through the bottom hose before the t-stat closes. I currently have a radiator flush product in the system and want to get all of that out before installing new coolant along with a new radiator and cooling fan (blades somehow broke off and damaged the radiator).

Also, since the heater OUTLET hose is more accessible and further from the heat of the exhaust (the heater inlet hose has a foil insulation around it from the factory), does anyone have an opinion as to using the heater OUTLET hose for the tee, if the flow pattern described above is correct?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:26 AM

Read the Prestone directions again. I'm pretty sure they say to remove the t-stat.

The t-stat's job is to keep the coolant WARM enough, not cool. It opens at 180F and stays open, until the fan comes on at 217F and runs until the temp gets down to 180F, then it closes.

The bypass hose allows SOME coolant to go around the t-stat, so that you can have cabin heat quicker.