Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR SS Turbo cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 PM

Wow, nice car. I have or I should say my wife has a red one like shown in the thread above with just under 112,000 miles. Until now it has run great and giive us very good service. I am going to have my fan checked this week. That would be great if it was that instead of the computer. The Dealership told me it could run up to several hundred dollars if it needed a new computer. I thought I would first give it a shot before I took it in because you know what happens there. It's HIGH.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM

I took the car into the dealership and they have had it for 2 days now. I called them this afternoon to check on the car and he said they have been working on it and have not figured anything out yet. This little ordeal seems to be a bugger, even to the dealer. I will be posting results when it is figured out and maybe it will be of help to someone else that might encounter the same problem. Again thanks to all that responded in my time of need. Be safe and God Bless.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM

Update on cooling problem

Took the car into the dealer and they scrached their heads for two and a half days on it. Just got a call and they found out even though the fan motor was running at times and could manually power it on demand. There is what he called a "spot" inside the cooling fan motor that does not work when going through the computer system. ??? SS FAN you hit the nail on the head. The dealer said it will cost me $607.00 to replace the cooling fan assembly. Again thanks to all.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Wow. No thanks for the fireman ? I'm feeling kinda overlooked that SS fan gets the only recognition.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:53 PM

cooling problem

Sorry, My bad. I couldn't remember who all mentioned the cooling fan as I was putting in my response but I just went back and read all the post and I did make a mistake. You did mention the cooling fan and I apologize. I just could not believe it was the cooling fan due to it working what seemed to be perfect when I would bypass the module. Oh well, the main thing is getting it fixed, making my wife happy, and getting back my truck. Thank you Firemangeorge, SS fan, and to all those that responded in my time of need and confusion. This is a great site and to be honest it's like a close family that is there when you need them. Firemangeorge, I take it that your a fireman and Thumbs up for what you do. And believe me I Know, I retired 2 and 1/2 years ago. Stay safe and God bless you.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Guess I should have put a smiley face with my last post. I wasn't really serious about being overlooked. Was just having a little fun.
Glad that you were able to figure out your cooling problem.

Yep. Was a professional firefighter. I retired back in April with almost 30 years on the job.
Thanks for the thumbs up. It is much appreciated.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

Great you got things cooled down, and it only took your Dealer 2.5 days, they must be getting better at it also. My Dealer took 6 months to decide to help me.

Since my buddies fan failed Saturday, we both drove mine in a endurance auto cross. Make 3 full runs of the course, the second 2 are timed and you get 2 runs. I was thinking it would gain too much heat but 203 was the highest temp I found even though I ran the second group. Now the tires ? different story.....
Attached Images