Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

interior light issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 03:46 PM

interior light issue

I recently installed a backup proximity sensor, inside the rear bumper, wired to the right rear backup light. It works, but since then, the interior lights stay on continuously. I first assumed that somehow the switch for the rear hatch was
not engaging, so the lights stayed on. However, as I feel around the hatch, I can't seem to find the switch. Does anyone know where it's located? Or do you have any insight why the lights might be stuck on? I pulled the interior light fuse in the meanwhile. The sensor wired to the right backup light, so I can't see that as being the problem.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:07 AM

The door switch for the rear hatch is inside on the latch it's self. I'm not sure if it is replaceable or built into the latch.

I would first unhook your added wiring just to make sure that's not causing your problem. I don't know why it would but I would check that before getting too involved.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:12 AM

This tsb came to mind I don't know if it would affect the interior lights or not.

Can't hurt to check.

#PIC5055: Rear Hatch Will NOT Lock - keywords door fuse gate latch lift liftgate lock pad release RKE touch UBEC unlock - (Dec 11, 2008)

Subject: Rear Hatch Will NOT Lock

Models: 2006-2009 Chevrolet HHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The customer will notice that at anytime by using the touch pad on the rear lift gate the lift gate will open WITHOUT unlocking the vehicle.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If this condition exists, check for a fuse in position #11 in the Underhood Buss Electrical Center. If there is a fuse in that position, remove it, as it is not supposed to be there.

Note: A fuse in that position will cause the release relay (coil side) to stay powered up at all times and will only need a ground (touch pad) to activate the relay.

If no fuse is present then check for voltage on circuit #1221 (WH/BK) and proceed with diagnostics.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Administrator

In your post you state you wired it into the right rear back up lamp harness, but was it the light green wire?
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

I would check the interior light dimmer switch control (the little wheel thingy on the dash waterfall). Just to make sure you didn't have an "oops" moment, and turned it to the ON position by accident.

Fwiw. Should be no need to pull the fuse. The BCM has a battery saver mode that will turn off the lights in about 15-20 minutes. Provided there is no ignition key activity, or door opening/closing that would reset the modes timer.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I would check the interior light dimmer switch control (the little wheel thingy on the dash waterfall). Just to make sure you didn't have an "oops" moment, and turned it to the ON position by accident.

Fwiw. Should be no need to pull the fuse. The BCM has a battery saver mode that will turn off the lights in about 15-20 minutes. Provided there is no ignition key activity, or door opening/closing that would reset the modes timer.
What a bonehead I am!! If you're ever in Los Angeles, I owe you a beer! Thanks!