Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No power brakes on startup (cold)? SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
Not trying to buzz the thread, but canadians have salt poured on the roads in the winter. We need the extra protection!! Good luck with the brake problem. Sounds pretty dangerous. I wonder if ChevMgr has any info on this.:twothumbs
Well, if the factory paint, ELPO primer, and double-galvanized steel dip aren't enough protection and you just HAVE to give the dealership another $400-$2000 for a bottle of wax, you're better off with an electronic corrosion protection system. Costs a lot less than the paint protection and actually works.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 PM

I also own a 07 SKY, there have been some 08s reporting the same problem on the SKY forum. http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5...nes-gxp-24264/
Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM

Makes me glad that I have neither ABS, nor a turbocharger. I like the simplicity and the lack of gadgets on my HHR LS.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the replies and those links.
Will get the dealer to look at it soon, guess it just means I use remote start soon and get the engine running that extra 30 seconds.
At least the issues been pinned down a bit, and its not a symptom of something larger...pumping seems to help while idling too, to build pressure.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM

My brakes acted up again today! I started the car, backed up and headed down the driveway and when I hit the brakes guess what, all the way to the floor!

I noticed that at idle the boost gauge shows around -18 psi. When I press the brake pedal it makes a terrible noise and the boost gauge jumps to around +4psi. While pumping the brakes the boost gauge is jumping into positive territory to around +4psi. When it's operating normally the gauge stays around -18 and barely moves when the brakes are applied.

I tried leaving the tranny in drive w/the ebrake applied and gave it a little gas to try to build some positive pressure but it didn't work. When in park giving it gas keeps it in negative pressure also.

I'm not sure where the boost gauge ties into the system so I can't really make anything of this. I shut it off, and drove it later in the day and not a single problem. Anyone have an idea?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:03 AM

Did it again today! I started it up backed out and down the driveway I went and very very little brakes. This time I didn't come to a complete stop and pulled out in the road, drove about 1/8 mile then braked hard just to see what happened. Full braking power with no noise at all. This must be a vacuum issue.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 AM

I have the same experience. This probably won't be listed under the 'feature' column. I too thought it was a low vacuum problem, fortunately it recovers quickly.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Here is a copy of the bulletin:

An Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) calibration was released that may reduce the effort the customer feels when depressing the brake pedal

Anyone actually have this update to the EBCM done? Does it fix the problem? From the bulletin above from GM it says it "may" keyword "may" reduce the effort needed to press the brake pedal.

So is this a fix or not?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
was my thoughts as well. A low vacuum condition.

Agreed...

Mine has done this 3 times to date, but the conditions are puzzling wrt the low vac condition. It has happened ONLY when leaving work (late afternoon, early evening-- 90+ degrees outside). I start the car, pull out of parking space, drive about 100 yards with minimal braking (just a tap or two as needed while navigating the mostly empty parking lot), then to the first speed bump, where I slow to a crawl. THAT'S where the brakes go numb and I find myself doing a Fred Flintstone to stop before the speed bump). Engine has been running for close to a minute by now, so I would have expected brake boost to be there. That's the only scenario I've ever felt this in 2000 miles.