Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0300 error 2008 SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Thank you that makes sense to me. Computers I can handle, cars are a bit of a mystery.

I was hoping it would be an easy part replacement.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow with the codes and see if it's covered under warranty, money's an issue so I was hoping to avoid an expensive repair.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM

It may be a easy parts replacement, if you know which part. That's the rub.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Deceased

Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM

and if you can find it. I look in the engine and swear I'd need the hands of a 6 year old to work on it.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
It could be either the solenoid or the sensor, which is why you're going to need some more diagnostic work done to be sure. Sorry for the confusion that has evolved over this, its one of those deals where the chances are it could be Problem A, but you need to eliminate Problem B to ensure you're not wasting money.

Code P0014 is fairly specific "P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance", but you'll note from the slip given to you by AutoZone, it could be one of five problems that need to be addressed diagnostically.

Plus you also need to check into the issues brought forth by code P0300, which are another five things to be checked into before you spend the money on anything. I'd take it to your dealer or a good diagnostic mechanic and have the codes pulled again and then have them go over it carefully.
I trust the gm service manual a little more than what autozone says.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM

I don't have a service manual (yet). That's why I came here for advice, there are a lot of people here with knowledge and experience they're willing to share.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 AM

I finally heard back from the dealer, he thinks it will be covered by the warranty, but can't take the car until Wednesday.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Dear Logrus9,

I have read your post about the code that your 2008 HHR SS had thrown. I am glad to read that you have already been in contact with the dealership. I apologize that you are not able to get the vehicle in there right away.

If you so choose, you can provide me an update of your visit tomorrow. This would allow me to stay in the loop if you would need further assistance in getting a resolution to your situation.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Well, I feel like an idiot. Hopefully my embarrassment will help someone else avoid my mistake.

1Panel2NV was on the right track about the oil. I had it changed at quick lube shop several months ago, synthetic, right viscosity, >40% life left, so I didn't think that could be the problem.

While all of those things were true, I never checked the oil. Apparently it was very low, at least 2 quarts. Some may wonder how I could ignore the low oil light, easy - there isn't one I assumed all cars had them.

The cause - the mechanic suspected the quickdrain valve since he couldn't see any other leaks, he may have changed his mind after seeing how it worked. I've never seen any oil spots on my driveway and I checked again today, none at all. I'm going to have to say that it wasn't filled properly when I had it changed until I can find another reason.

The car is running great like always, but they said to watch out for the light in case there is another problem.

Michelle, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was having problem with the service dept, I know they are very busy because they have a great reputation. They are Arroway in Katonah and Mt. Kisco NY. They have always done great work and everyone I've dealt with has been top notch.

Thanks again to everyone, I've learned a lot and appreciate everyone taking the time to brainstorm my problem.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Deceased

No reason to feel like an idiot, its a common misconception that the "oil" light on vehicles indicates a low oil level, instead its indicating a low oil pressure situation which can be caused by a low oil level. Some vehicles do have an indicator or warning light when the quantity of oil is low, but its not that common. Every engine uses oil in some amount just in normal operation, even without leaks, oil still goes out the tailpipe in everyday use. Just remember what my Grandpa taught me nearly 40 years ago, check the oil at least every other day and you'll save your engine and save money too.

Here's GM's official take on oil consumption in a "normal" engine.....

"Oil Consumption

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more."

Glad your problem was easily resolved and that you didn't suffer any engine damage, never hesitate to ask questions here...we're family ya know.