Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Radio issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I still think speakers first, HU later if required.
Definitely. I’d bet very few stock radios go bad but I’d also bet very few speakers are stock and working at all four corners. I also think a working stock radio is better than a cheapo radio, especially a stock radio with Bluetooth and a USB.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I personally prefer Pioneer but Kenwood and Alpine are pretty good. Kenwood and JVC merged a few years ago, with JVC sort of being the lower end and Kenwood having longer warranties but both are still good product. Just don't go with a cheap brand (Dual, Boss, Jensen) because you'll just end up replacing it. I once bought three Dual head units and all three went out. That's a problem because now you have to pull it back out and replace it which is an unnecessary pain. And please buy the install kit instead of hacking into the stock harness.

The main thing is try to get a mechless unit (no CD mechanism) because that makes it easier to shove all the wires back into the dash. I prefer double DIN units because they fit nicely in the dash but if you really just want a basic head unit with bluetooth, without the fancy screens, the single DINs are the cheapest - not much more than $100. Single DINs also usually have the USB on the front (so you don't have to run and mount a USB cable - not that that's a big deal) and a volume knob, which many people prefer. I got hooked on Apple CarPlay, and then got hooked on wireless CarPlay so the unit I have cost $500, open box.

As far as speakers, just read a lot of reviews and focus on what type of sound is important. I hate that very few retailers have speakers on display that you can actually listen to before buying. I tried to keep the price down so I just went with four Kenwoods for $40 a pair and I'm very satisfied so far given the price. You can usually get a deal if you buy a radio/speaker package and I guess it's a good thing for them to match. With speakers (and radios) the sky is the limit so it just depends on what you want to spend. The stock speakers are components (separate tweeters) but I just went with regular coaxials for now just to keep the price down. The biggest difference in sound came from adding the powered subwoofer but that's a whole 'nother thing, especially since you want to keep the price down. Please don't cheap out and try to use the old speakers for mounting brackets or cutting the stock wires - just get the mounting and wire adapters - it's not much more expensive and makes the install easier and nicer.

Sorry for the long post - hope it helps! You should easily be able to get a nice radio, speakers and install items for around the $500 price if you shop carefully.

GREAT info Thanks, I do not want to cheap out but mid grade is OK ANd Found out a long time ago go cheap you pay twice lol.... Plus if needed a couple hundred more is doable, My HHR is mainly now a low use car, or loaner to my kids !
Old 12-01-2021, 08:00 PM

I still think speakers first, HU later if required.
Steve that is where I will start , Speakers first with the cones on them, Then if needed get the radio.
I also checked my HHR and it does not have Blue Tooth, I purchased it in 2011 and was a Rental
Old 12-02-2021, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Hmm , my 2011 2LT was a Hertz rental , it has Bluetooth
Old 12-02-2021, 10:22 AM

Hmm , my 2011 2LT was a Hertz rental , it has Bluetooth
Mine was Enterprise guess they were cheap skate's lol I do not have the phone buttons on my steering wheel.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Ah, that’s it, low level radio features
Old 12-03-2021, 08:15 AM

Ah, that’s it, low level radio features
Yup ,Guess Enterprise is cheap lol
After Christmas I will start with the speakers,
Old 12-03-2021, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Santa bringing you a set of 4 ?
Old 12-03-2021, 03:42 PM

Santa bringing you a set of 4 ?
Yea Santa may be bring those speakers , Brackets and harness if needed :) And of course those cones to cover the speakers.
I tell you you can spend some serious money on the Crutchfield sight lol
Old 12-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Administrator

I’m not allowed on that site, my wife knows It’s way to expensive if I ordered what I want!
Same with some custom suspension sites like Ride Tech

Quick Reply: Radio issue ?