Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

rhythmic rubbing sound from front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM

rhythmic rubbing sound from front end

I have an '06 HHR with 131K miles on it. A little while ago, I noticed an intermittent scraping sound from the front while driving, which increased in speed and noise as my speed increased. After some investigation I noticed that the sound lessened when turning to the left, so I figured the wheel bearing hub assembly might be shot. Before I replaced the bearing, I rotated my tires just to be sure it wasn't that.

After replacing that front left hub, the sound was still there, so I thought it might be noise from the brakes, since they were due for maintenance within the next three months. I replaced the brakes and rotors and upon driving, the sound is still there, and it is still much quieter when turning to the left. When I had the tires off for the brake change, I inspected them and didn't see any suspicious tread wear.

This seems like a common problem in the forum, but I'm not sure where the next place to check might be. Could it be the right front bearing? So far all of these repairs have made the drive feel much smoother and safer, but I don't want to keep pouring money in chasing this sound.

*edited to add: front lower control arms and bushings were replaced approximately 5 months ago
Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Flat spot on tire or broken belt inside tire slapping around. Could also be a tube of liquid nails injected in there - Ive seen it..

Inspect sway bar bushings.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:21 PM

It is not that common, just 2 in a week.

Assuming that you have actually looked at any area that has a moving part in it and saw nothing hanging or rubbing. That pretty much narrows it down to the right hub or one of the CV axles.

I just hate when we go 4 pages of 20 questions and then find out "I wonder if that plastic bag hanging in the wheel well could be the cause".
Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Administrator

I've had the splash shield bent from road debris and rubbed the brake rotor
I've had the hubs go to, I now replace the hubs in pairs!
I've had the stainless steel brake pad spring clips rub the rotor also.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanks to all for your replies. I got swamped with end-of-summer-semester business, so I didn't have a chance to get back to this issue until now. I'm happy to report that it was the passenger side front wheel hub that also needed replacement. I switched that out today and the noise is gone.